Sign in to follow this  
infernouk

How often do Turbo'd cars come up for sale? Reliable?

Hey guys,

I was a member here a couple of years back when I had a black Aero 86, i sold the car when i moved to london.

Im now in a situation where im moving out of london and need a car, so im looking at the 86 again.

This time round, I dont want an Aero and I do want a turbo, so im wondering, how often to standard model turbo cars come up and what sort of price?

I also wondered if anyone can speak to the long term reliability of them now that its been a good few years, i sold before the recall stuff kicked off, how does that work with cars that are turbo?

Cheers for any insight!

I've been looking for a supercharged or turbo car for a while now. My unscientific answer is "not many" and unfortunately for us buyers, most sellers strip their cars of mods before selling to maximise their return (fair play).

A 2013 supercharged car sold on PH recently with a listed price of £12,500 but I didn't write down the mileage

THere is a Giallo yellow supercharged 2015 car up for £17,500

And I know of a white 2012 turbo car with uprated conrods running massive bhp for sale for £17,500 (which I think is a bit steep)

Even finding a car still with an upgraded manifold is pretty hard.

16 minutes ago, Billyb said:

I've been looking for a supercharged or turbo car for a while now. My unscientific answer is "not many" and unfortunately for us buyers, most sellers strip their cars of mods before selling to maximise their return (fair play).

A 2013 supercharged car sold on PH recently with a listed price of £12,500 but I didn't write down the mileage

THere is a Giallo yellow supercharged 2015 car up for £17,500

And I know of a white 2012 turbo car with uprated conrods running massive bhp for sale for £17,500 (which I think is a bit steep)

Even finding a car still with an upgraded manifold is pretty hard.

Cheers yeah I’m specifically looking for a black car too, I’m thinking I may just buy a 11k used car and spend the 4K turbo charging it 

1 minute ago, infernouk said:

Cheers yeah I’m specifically looking for a black car too, I’m thinking I may just buy a 11k used car and spend the 4K turbo charging it 

I'm starting to think that way too...

The right parts cost, can you dont look like you want to pay for them so there is no wonder why people put them back to stop. For example if I was to look at mine:

12 plate 35K miles. 12k?

Cosworth kit 3.5k?

Ohlins 1.5k?

App BBK 1k?

Two sets of wheels 500?

Hayward and Scott Exhaust 500?

Stereo 200?

Tomms rear lights 200?

Scroth Harnesses 200?

Cosworth baffle this would never be worth taking off.

Full Siebon lip kit. (cost a packet new)

The car in bits stands as 19k+ and I think you could get more for the bits if patient. Doesn't sound like many would be willing to give that kind of money for a prepped car.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, maurice said:

Tbh normally I'd have thought leaving the car modified would make it harder to sell on. Mine is properly tracked prepped with quality parts, (i.e. Rays / KW's / AP / HKS / Recaro SPG / Scroth 6 point / custom half roll cage), but the more you modify the less people it appeals to so I'd bet it'd sell easier standard.

Yeah it's true. Most people dont wan't to touch modded. Most garages refuse them on P/X, or offer you to restore it to standard. In my experience.

As long as the work has been done properly, you as a buyer can make a huge saving buying a car already turbo charged. But for 100% peace of mind, having the work done yourself to the spec you're wanting would be the best route. 

Have you viewed any of the turbo cars for sale currently?