Finsky

Catless header and heavy rasp

Hello,

So I've recently installed the TD EL catless manifold and overpipe and it resulted in some really heavy rasp.

At first I thought it was because of the new catback I installed at the same time (HKS Hi Power Spec L Carbon), so I tried removing the catback, then putting back the stock one, and got the rasp either way so I'm guessing it must have something to do with the manifold. My front pipe is stock. I've also put an o2 defouler to avoid the CEL code until I get a tune, not sure if it could have anything to do with it.

I'm a bit confused as I can read on the forums that there's supposed to be some rasp when removing the first cat, but then there are youtube videos of people installing a catless header and removing the muffler that have no rasp at all.

I've attached a recording to this post, this is with the stock exhaust and from the driver's seat, windows open. Is this to be expected, knowing that I've kept the stock front pipe? Is there possibly something wrong with my installation ? What can I do to fix this ? It's really unbearably loud even with the stock catback so sadly I avoid driving the car for the moment..

Thanks.

rasp.mp3

No that doesn’t sound right. Have you checked for air leaks from the joins and made sure it’s not catching or causing the heat shields to rattle. That also sounds like the baffles in the silencers (mufflers) are loose.

I'd suggest putting your phone on video recording then lowering it down the front of the engine. You should be able to see on the video how close the manifold primaries are to the undertray. (obviously do it with engine off 😂). 

Reminds me of my Alfa Romeo 164 V6, back in the day. Something had come loose inside a muffler, making a similar noise.

I have a small amount of similar rasping with the TD EL (stock apart from NA tuning package and gear insert/MTEC springs) but it's actually quite difficult to consistently make it happen.

Mine's certainly not as bad as yours. I seem to remember mine settling down somewhat in the first month as well though I was away from my car for 3 months afterwards so my memory of it isn't 100%