Sign in to follow this  
RogerM

Buy a brand new GT86 right now, or not.

Greetings everyone.

I have the option of buying a brand new GT86, it's a pre reg, but never been driven (still got factory wraps, tapes and protection), Pearl White with parking sensors, £26,500. Or wait a few months and see what turns up? Just want an enjoyable car to drive, without going crazy. I'll test it in a day or so, but keep thinking about what's around the corner. Comments about the price etc. very welcome.

Thanks,
Roger

1 hour ago, RogerM said:

Greetings everyone.

I have the option of buying a brand new GT86, it's a pre reg, but never been driven (still got factory wraps, tapes and protection), Pearl White with parking sensors, £26,500. Or wait a few months and see what turns up? Just want an enjoyable car to drive, without going crazy. I'll test it in a day or so, but keep thinking about what's around the corner. Comments about the price etc. very welcome.

Thanks,
Roger

Fuck that. Buy a used one, spend the money saved on a turbo. No brainer.

It'll be a while yet before the GR86 with the larger engine makes it to market, and there really aren't many things wrong with most of the used options apart from wear and tear, so you could save £10-15k just blow a few grand on tuition and events so you really get the most out of the car.

If I had to buy new, I'd aim for the blue specials just for the kicks, or grub around for an aero edition from a few years back.

11 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

Toy.jpg

Yeah, this basically, I think this is from Broadspeed but put your details into sites like carwow and drivethedeal and see what they come back with.  £26.5k doesn't sound like a big enough discount, it's a few years back now but I got almost £4k off list price on mine and it was built to order.  Toyota won't want their stock sitting around - especially pre-reg - and I can't imagine too many people are buying sports cars right now so you should haggle hard.

I understand the comments about buying used, but a full 5 year warranty and knowing that it hasn't been abused or modified carry some value.

I'd second the comments about not waiting for the GR86, it could be less good than the current car and is probably a year away from our shores anyway.

1 hour ago, nerdstrike said:

If I had to buy new, I'd aim for the blue specials just for the kicks, or grub around for an aero edition from a few years back.

This basically. If you want the best GT86 of the current shape, Blue Edition with Performance Pack is the one to get. I daresay you'll save a bit more in the process. 

I bought mine new. But only as the facelift had just come out. Figured the extra depreciation over 3 years was worth the extra features on the facelift model.

As others have said I might buy new now for a Blue Performance Pack version, but a decent second hand car few years old will be less than 15k hopefully.

It's a lot of money for something that hasn't changed much in 8 years, depends on your personal financial circumstances really. The performance pack is the only thing that'd make me even consider it, that and the shiny new car feeling.

Probably worth noting there are alot of Toyota Finance offers at the moment. Not checked the GT86 but both the GR Yaris and the Supra can be had at 0% APR so at least you're not having to pay interest. That combined with a decent discount would offset the usual poor APR plus depreciation you would normally have to stomach.

If it's pre registered, it's not brand new as you would be the 2nd owner 

Happy to be corrected but warranty begins at first registration so you wouldn't get 5yrs either

Surely price should at least take the depreciation of being 2nd hand out of the equation?