JB33

Help picking a car

Hi, 

I came from an M140i and looking to get into another GT86 (owned a 2016 a few years back). Sold it due to gearstick rattle and I wasn’t in love with the looks at the time. Since seen some fixes for the rattle I’m keen to try. 

I am currently torn between tow cars, both are Approved Toyota stock from dealerships. 

Car 1: 

Club Series Orange edition, 67 plate, 1 owner, full dealer history, immaculate condition inside and out, 22,500 miles. Haggled price to £18,000

Car 2: 

Red, 2015 plate, 1 owner, full history (not all dealer), good condition inside and out, 48,000 miles. Fixed price of £13,299 but comes with 2 years warranty. 

It’s a cash sale and thinking do I spend the extra and get the orange edition? Something a but more special, updated engine intervals, better dampers and spring rates, nicer interior, tech, track mode, heated seats, parking sensors, all the goodies at a cost of £4,750, fewer miles and newer. One worry with the red one, is I’ve owned that model before, and sold it, it doesn’t come with the changes of the MY17 and doesn’t feel as special. The thing is, the red one is almost £5k cheaper .. big money, is it worth the upgrade? Is the MY17 a better car? I am not also totally sold on the MY17 front splitter .... maybe it will grow on me like my M140 did.

Also, should I be worried at 48,000 miles? Keep having thoughts that what if the gearbox is worn out or the clutch is fried, car been tracked etc, am I over thinking the mileage?

Really appreciate thoughts please? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Hi, 

I came from an M140i and looking to get into another GT86 (owned a 2016 a few years back). Sold it due to gearstick rattle and I wasn’t in love with the looks at the time. Since seen some fixes for the rattle I’m keen to try. 

I am currently torn between tow cars, both are Approved Toyota stock from dealerships. 

Car 1: 

Club Series Orange edition, 67 plate, 1 owner, full dealer history, immaculate condition inside and out, 22,500 miles. Haggled price to £18,000

Car 2: 

Red, 2015 plate, 1 owner, full history (not all dealer), good condition inside and out, 48,000 miles. Fixed price of £13,299 but comes with 2 years warranty. 

It’s a cash sale and thinking do I spend the extra and get the orange edition? Something a but more special, updated engine intervals, better dampers and spring rates, nicer interior, tech, track mode, heated seats, parking sensors, all the goodies at a cost of £4,750, fewer miles and newer. One worry with the red one, is I’ve owned that model before, and sold it, it doesn’t come with the changes of the MY17 and doesn’t feel as special. The thing is, the red one is almost £5k cheaper .. big money, is it worth the upgrade? Is the MY17 a better car? I am not also totally sold on the MY17 front splitter .... maybe it will grow on me like my M140 did.

Also, should I be worried at 48,000 miles? Keep having thoughts that what if the gearbox is worn out or the clutch is fried, car been tracked etc, am I over thinking the mileage?

Really appreciate thoughts please? 

Thanks 

Sounds like a difficult decision depending on what your priorities and plans are?

If reliability is the most important factor, then the newer car would make sense although you are paying a premium for longer warranty. 22k miles is low but on the other hand it does depend on how those miles were driven which you can never know for sure buying from a dealer / 3rd party.

If value for money is the most important factor, then the older car is a better bet and you can always spend some of the savings you make on making the car your own.

I cant comment on the difference in drive between the MY12 and MY17 models as only driven the former, but I suspect there's very little in it. Someone else might be able to say.

Mine is up for sale in the classifieds if interested but may not fit your needs.

At the end of the day, you will probably be happy with whichever 86 you choose. Test drive as many as you can and the one go for the one you like the most :) Wish you all the best.

Imho both might be good purchase .. but i'd probably would have gone for MY2017 if both are affordable (except not liking "special edition" bit, which means rare paint, and thus unability to find painted parts from breakeryard & some prepainted aftermarket parts not available in such color (eg. IIRC TRD - coming only for red/black/white ones, or unpainted & requiring custom painting afterwards)). Imho 4.7K for half a mileage + upgrades of MY2017 are worth it. But if both are bought via leasing, not complete cache payment .. i guess i'd go for older one, especially due mentioned 2y warranty that levels a bit.

From the write up you gave, the newer car sounded to me more what you were looking for. Good luck, like those above have said, I'm sure you will really enjoy whichever you go for. 

Buy this one - then you don't need to spend thousands making your purchase better:

That option aside, it's hard for anyone but you to know if you want to spend an extra £5000 or not. Is there anything wrong with a GT86 on 50k mileage? No, not at all. Accident damage is easy to spot, and the clutch is unlikely to be worn and even it it was, it's not as though you wouldn't have the money to replace it.

Be sensible, spend less.

Or avoid all risk, and spend more.

Either way, try not to over-think it and just go!

Looking at the other forum, it was pointless commenting as the OP had already made a choice and bought the earlier car about 10 seconds after his post on here by the looks of it! 🤣

Looking at the other forum, it was pointless commenting as the OP had already made a choice and bought the earlier car about 10 seconds after his post on here by the looks of it! 
Still not sure he has also posted in Facebook for advise. So there is a lot of doubt in his mind.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Still not sure emoji53.png he has also posted in Facebook for advise. So there is a lot of doubt in his mind.

There is a lot of doubt, and also i struggle to make decisions in life generally. I over think things too much in just about everything I do, really stress myself out over what should be an enjoyable experience :(

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Looking at the other forum, it was pointless commenting as the OP had already made a choice and bought the earlier car about 10 seconds after his post on here by the looks of it! 🤣

Thanks for your replies Lauren. Yes, really having a tough time deciding (first world problems huh?). I have a hard time deciding on anything really but with a good bit of money I need to be sure it’s right and really analysing all the details before deciding. The cheaper one ended up having damage too as well questionable service history. So maybe the later one is a better choice .... for now :)

There is a lot of doubt, and also i struggle to make decisions in life generally. I over think things too much in just about everything I do, really stress myself out over what should be an enjoyable experience
Honestly, the car is a very stable platform through its life. You will not make a wrong choice with either. Its all about how much you want to spend now as its a weekend toy. Take it easy and enjoy your car , which ever you pick.

7 hours ago, Adamd said:

Buy this one - then you don't need to spend thousands making your purchase better:

That option aside, it's hard for anyone but you to know if you want to spend an extra £5000 or not. Is there anything wrong with a GT86 on 50k mileage? No, not at all. Accident damage is easy to spot, and the clutch is unlikely to be worn and even it it was, it's not as though you wouldn't have the money to replace it.

Be sensible, spend less.

Or avoid all risk, and spend more.

Either way, try not to over-think it and just go!

You're welcome to test drive mine to see how it compares to the other two you're considering. No pressure - have masks and hand sanitizer.

1 minute ago, mattt said:

You're welcome to test drive mine to see how it compares to the other two you're considering. No pressure - have masks and hand sanitizer.

Appreciate the offer of driving yours, I’m just outside Edinburgh so a little far :(

I am torn between the two, the older one i found out has some out of sync services, will check with Toyota tomorrow though how this effects any warranty. 

Thanks again. 

23 hours ago, JB33 said:

Appreciate the offer of driving yours, I’m just outside Edinburgh so a little far :(

I am torn between the two, the older one i found out has some out of sync services, will check with Toyota tomorrow though how this effects any warranty. 

Thanks again. 

No worries - yep that's a bit of a trip! Good luck with your hunt :) 

I would go for the newer one if it isnt too much financially different. My car had a full service history from toyota but that honestly just made me more worried now for future purposes.

The grade oil was used for one of the services, completely failed to adhere to any of the service intervals too. I first assume oh good full history thats good but on further inspection i was shocked. The gearbox and diff oil had never been changed untill i did them at 40k miles and its a 2014 plate.

Now i just service the car myself every 5k miles and have my work (an aerospace garage) carry out an inspection for the paperwork and peace of mind. And when the car goes turbo next year, i defo aint letting toyota touch it