DuncanM

Reserved a red GT86 in Wakefield :-)

Hello everyone,

Quite excited, I have reserved a 2013 red GT86 from Vantage Wakefield, and hope to pick it up later this week.

I have read lots of interesting stuff already on this brilliant site (and the owners site), the main thing is the spring recall, I'm waiting to hear whether my car has had it done, and at what mileage.

It's a one owner car, provided by vantage, and serviced by them, which I'm hoping is a good thing.

I can't wait to drive it, have always loved Toyotas, first car was a Celica ST162 :-).

Jist had an email from Vantage, recall work was done last November, around 5k miles ago. I'm quite pleased with this, any issues would have shown themselves within 5k miles I'd expect 🙂

And thank you for the welcome everyone, looks like a great community around these cars 🙂

8 hours ago, Whizo said:

Are you local to Wakefield pal?

Hello - I'm from way down south in Bedford. Happy to travel for the right car, wanted a red one! :)

I’m down the road from Wakefield pal, not many GT86’s around here so thought if you were local could have shared our passion for this car over a pint.  Will probably bump into you one day at an event, enjoy the car, you won’t regret it.

After a month, I finally have my GT86 home. 

I bloody love it! 🙂

The car really is as good as I'd hoped to drive, and I even go against the trend, and love the engine. 35mpg, but fun and revvy, I'm well aware it's not blisteringly fast, but it's a brilliant engine in my opinion. 

Handling is fantastic, as pointy as expected, will be interesting in the wet. 

I paid 11k for a 2013,1 owner, full toyota history car, with 67k miles. I think I've done well, has a few stone chips, but they resprayed the bonnet (hence the delay), so the front is great.

Couldn't be happier so far, the GT86 is a gem of a car. 

IMG_20200920_072345.jpg

On 9/20/2020 at 7:30 AM, DuncanM said:

Handling is fantastic, as pointy as expected, will be interesting in the wet. 

You've never respected a cold greasy roundabout as much as on primacy tyres in a tail-happy RWD car. Otherwise it's super fun even in the wet!

See you on the A428 no doubt.

5 hours ago, nerdstrike said:

You've never respected a cold greasy roundabout as much as on primacy tyres in a tail-happy RWD car. Otherwise it's super fun even in the wet!

See you on the A428 no doubt.

Oh Hello!

The GT86 is quite rare around these parts isn't it?

I should have mentioned the tyres, has Prestivo PS1s all round with good tread left. Will have to see what they're like in the wet (tomorrow) - I've never heard of them tbh! 

Regarding lairy, I had a 200sx on 205 section tyres, even my Cerbera is benign compared to that experience 😄

Hello everyone, 

A bit of an update here, I didn't want to write anything until this got sorted. 

This video was taken 7 days after collecting my car from Wakefield. As you can imagine, I was pretty mortified, and only got the car back a week ago. The noise sounds like bearing failure, however I'm led to believe it is a cam sprocket failure. The fix took ages, with the engine being completely stripped, and some lengthy part delays. Wakefield Toyota were exceptional throughout, courtesy car supplied, and regular updates provided. 

Thank gawd I bought a car with full Toyota warranty, and full Toyota history. The car is back now and running nicely, however it's not easy to really test in the conditions. 

It hasn't stopped me loving the car :)

I had a proper drive in the GT86 for the first time yesterday, a 110mile round trip. The car is superb to drive, however I would note that even with standard suspension, the ride is very focused, not crashy, but certainly busy.

I'd also concede that it certainly isn't the fastest if caught in the wrong gear, but has enough overtaking capability in 3rd 50-85ish.

With covid and wfh, I'm not really doing much with the car, and yet I am so much happier having it, compared to my 208 commuter econobox. Also getting 36mpg on a run, and that's with 2 high rpm dashes across MK too :)

Toyota got so much right with this car, will be interesting to see what they do with the new one

So as a Subaru owner I can't imagine the downgrade to a Toyota, but if I was to take a step down to a GT86 it would probably be in red. Good choice!

A bit of pre-weekend trolling there! I'm in an end-of-week mood.

1 hour ago, McDude said:

So as a Subaru owner I can't imagine the downgrade to a Toyota, but if I was to take a step down to a GT86 it would probably be in red. Good choice!

A bit of pre-weekend trolling there! I'm in an end-of-week mood.

Heh! 😂👍

Looks really nice, all you people with the paint popping red cars making my pearlescent white one look very flat. Pearl only shows in the sun.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:24 PM, Joolz said:

Looks really nice, all you people with the paint popping red cars making my pearlescent white one look very flat. Pearl only shows in the sun.

Thank you, I do love it in white too though, a great colour for the GT86 😊