SimonG68

Lowering Springs Eibach 35-40mm

Looking at lowering the Ginger, with springs as can’t go coilovers £££

Does anyone know if these are any good, as I can collect a mint condition set for £60 -only 2 months use.

I have a Maxton front splitter, so this will affect speed bump approaches etc....

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd imagine you'll have a lot of fun with speed bumps with the 35-40 kit + splitter yes

In case you considered the pro kit (25mm ish), here's my ginger side profile when installed them with stock wheels. Speedbumps aren't great for me either, especially if the cars loaded up.

cb2480d55a86e4ec6f565f9f478ed5a9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah a lot of fun with 35-40mm less clearance I’d imagine......
I’m on the stock wheels as well

Your 25mm looks good tho, well it would as yours is a ginger as well.....
Cheers for the pic

Yes, you and speed humps will get to know each other well 😄. I took those springs off as it was too low for the area where I live with the crappy roads and number of speed humps. 25mm would be a much better choice in my opinion,  especially with a splitter. 35-40mm will look cool though 😉.  Personally I went for adjustable coilovers so there is the option to adjust. Bit of a price difference though..

The 35-40mm springs on the standard wheels will cause them to sit very far inside the wheel arch. You’ll probably want to add wheel spacers to pull the wheel and tyre to the edge of the arch. 
Something else to bear in mind is that a 40mm drop will lose pretty much all of your damper travel, so the car will ride on the bump stops most of the time. Most springs with this drop will come with shorter bumpstops to give you some damper travel back I’d expect a very bumpy ride.

Its also worth noting that it will put more camber on the front and rear wheels so the tyres will wear on the inside and the rear toe angle will change less favourably. 

I had mine lowered 40mm on coilovers which looked great, not good but not fun with speed bumps or getting a jack underneath or weaving around twigs in the road because you can drive around them anymore. Not to mention it put extra strain on the differential and driveshafts as the angle changes. You’ll hear it on full lock.

If you do high mileage then just be prepared to wear things out much quicker.

This is of course my opinion and experiences.

Whilst the springs are cheap other costs will be involved, camber bolts, new shocks sooner, less tyre life and higher mechanical wear. 

Saying all that £60 for a set of springs is a good deal and probably worth a punt to see what you think.  Does depend on your use, driving habits and most importantly your own butt dyno, is always different to another’s.

Haha, I’ve just driven a 120mile round trip to collect them, there in the boot with spare bump stops and the original box.....
So yeah a bargain imo also.

1935e82ee829e9897ee2128a65ec4dea.jpg

Ok they’re 2nd hand, but all the same I’m still looking forward to the fitting and end result....
Now where’s my Nephews number.....

1 hour ago, SimonG68 said:

1935e82ee829e9897ee2128a65ec4dea.jpg

Ok they’re 2nd hand, but all the same I’m still looking forward to the fitting and end result.... emoji12.png
Now where’s my Nephews number..... emoji848.png

Make sure you’re Nephew is competent I’ve no doubt he is as I’ve heard horror stories of people spinning the strut undoing them and buggering them up Simon 😢

Use an Allen key and ring spanner to loosen the top mount nuts to the top of the thread with the car on the ground makes it much easier and prevents you spinning the shaft. No buzz gun required then.

Make sure you’re Nephew is competent I’ve no doubt he is as I’ve heard horror stories of people spinning the strut undoing them and buggering them up Simon

Yeah the nephew is a fully qualified technician, so I’ve got that base well & truly covered.....

Use an Allen key and ring spanner to loosen the top mount nuts to the top of the thread with the car on the ground makes it much easier and prevents you spinning the shaft. No buzz gun required then.

Cheers for the tip, will remember that