Iliketosleep

How much does a GT86 cost to maintain?

7 hours ago, Lauren said:

It's worth pointing out that the spark plug change is done on mileage, not age. A low mileage car that was 6 years old would not warrant the spark plug change. However, all those that have been subject to the valve spring recall generally had their plugs change as it was free to do whilst the engine was out and you only needed to pay for the plugs themselves. 

It also worth pointing out that they appear to be changing them regardless at the 6yr serivce as i did not ask for them to be changed which is what others have also found.

20 minutes ago, NJay said:

It also worth pointing out that they appear to be changing them regardless at the 6yr serivce as i did not ask for them to be changed which is what others have also found.

Well, they shouldn't be as it is not necessary. Simply reading the service manual should be enough to point that out. 

On 8/23/2020 at 3:13 PM, Adamd said:

They're very cheap to run and maintain, mpg is worse than you'd think though.

Depends how you drive but I average low to mid 40s each refill .. that's on VPower. I'm only disappointed when it's below 37mpg ... but then I've been having more fun! ;)

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:13 PM, Adamd said:

+1, i've had mine for 5 years now and its is no more expensive than a regular hatchback (in some cases cheaper)

Its almost comical how long tyres and brakes last, servicing costs are typical Toyota prices, there are no vices or shockers with maintaining these cars.

Biggest expense is fuel, expect high 20s for low speed town driving, high 30s for a roads and motorways (driven how it should be ;))

10 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Depends how you drive but I average low to mid 40s each refill .. that's on VPower. I'm only disappointed when it's below 37mpg ... but then I've been having more fun! ;)

I don't really understand how that's possible! I average 33mpg. I don't really do long journeys I guess - maybe that's it. I'm mainly around town and villages, stop/start driving.

I don't really understand how that's possible! I average 33mpg. I don't really do long journeys I guess - maybe that's it. I'm mainly around town and villages, stop/start driving.
Firstly I believe his is an automatic which is geared differently and more tuned to economy and has lower CO2 from factory. Secondly if you do a lot of short city / town trips, MPG falls quickly to 20s.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Pah. I average 35 mpg on the commute and 40-ish on holiday with a manual gearbox. I don't really get a chance to exercise the car on the commute due to the roads and traffic, but it's offset by quite a lot of crawl. I could see it dropping a lot if you live in the middle of a city and never get out of 3rd, but that's true of most non-hybrids.

I'm averaging around 30 mpg... around 20-25 with spirited driving and around 37 on a long distance trip.
My car has done 1500 miles though, so perhaps it will become better once it's worn in! Who knows...

Not too bothered really, buying a car like this and worrying about MPG is mental to me. Same as the people not using VPOWER etc. (or super unleaded at the very least)

18 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

Firstly I believe his is an automatic which is geared differently and more tuned to economy and has lower CO2 from factory. Secondly if you do a lot of short city / town trips, MPG falls quickly to 20s.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Auto is not tuned any different to the manual. Only difference is the gearing.

The lower CO2 production of an automatic is caused by the slightly longer gearing. This made the automatic less expensive than the manual, over here in the Netherlands. Cars are heavily taxed by CO2 production. This CO2 tax madness is the cause of many fun cars not being sold anymore in Holland, including the GT86. 😤

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

The lower CO2 production of an automatic is caused by the slightly longer gearing. This made the automatic less expensive than the manual, over here in the Netherlands. Cars are heavily taxed by CO2 production. This CO2 tax madness is the cause of many fun cars not being sold anymore in Holland, including the GT86. 😤

Do they also limit imports in similar ways?

13 minutes ago, Adamd said:

Do they also limit imports in similar ways?

Yes they do. Back in the day I wanted to import a used V6 German Audi 100. With car import tax added it would have become more expensive than a similar used one bought from a Dutch dealer. The Netherlands is car hell. The last GT86 was sold for £47400.

A year ago I bought mine, which then was almost three years old, for a higher price than what you pay for a new one in the UK.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes they do. Back in the day I wanted to import a used V6 German Audi 100. With car import tax added it would have become more expensive than a similar used one bought from a Dutch dealer. The Netherlands is car hell. The last GT86 was sold for £47400.

A year ago I bought mine, which then was almost three years old, for a higher price than what you pay for a new one in the UK.

Ouch!

Part of me is impressed at how committed y'all are to environmental issues. If all countries had done the same then innovation would have progressed much quicker and I could envigage a gt86-a-like with an electric powertrain by now (and, ya know - perhaps kept global warming to a managable level).

9 hours ago, Adamd said:

Ouch!

Part of me is impressed at how committed y'all are to environmental issues. If all countries had done the same then innovation would have progressed much quicker and I could envigage a gt86-a-like with an electric powertrain by now (and, ya know - perhaps kept global warming to a managable level).

Agreed, but just one small country doesn't make notable difference. The majority of this tax money doesn't even go to infrastructure and/or environmental projects.

They are really cheap to run to be honest. Tyres last ages, brakes the same. Oil service isn't bad and its easy to do yourself if you want to DIY.

Your main issue will be the huge amount of aftermarket parts available for the car and the temptation to modify the shit out of it.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, will300 said:

All of the 17+ models are very refined and have alot of the issues fixed from earlier cars.

However if servicing and general maintenance is going to be tight, perhaps look at a slightly order and cheaper car with a better finance rate, i.e: 

reasonable.jpg

There is a black 2017 same model gt86 with. 26k miles on it currently on Facebook market for £18,000 I offered him £16,000 and he said yes but I had to say no as my situation changed. If you’re still shopping it is a good deal for you maybe bro

On 8/23/2020 at 4:13 PM, Adamd said:

But paying that amount monthly...hmmm. There's so many other interesting cars for £400 a month! I'd go for an older/cheaper gt86 personally - the cars are well made and don't age badly.

I had an Audi A5 in the past, 2013 version with 1.8 petrol 6 gears 184HP - in MPG I don-t know the consumption but in liters was between 6 and 7 per 100km. That crap was eating oil every 100miles add a quarter each time to avoid more loose. Manufacturer issue when made that car till 2012 then problem fixed not mine :)) if go to london and back to felixstowe the tanker was close to half. Not bad for a average of 75 mph. The 2L GT86 or BRZ shouldn.t eat much more.