Iliketosleep

How much does a GT86 cost to maintain?

I've found one I like, 2019 plate, but its approx 390 pounds per month, it begs the question

How much do tyres and brakes typically cost and how often do they need replacing?

How much does a typical service cost?

Is there any form of maintenance that is equired regularly?

At what mileage do you expect parts to fail and require replacement, and cost associated?

Appreciate it's a lot of questions, thanks all

Tyres are can start from £100 a corner if you want a good set

Yearly service can vary depending if you do it your self or go to a garage. Oil and filter service done yourself can cost about £80

The engines are mechanical sound it cared for, mine has 75k and the only mechanical issue I've had is a pulley bearing failed which was £70 for the part from Toyota.

Brakes vary depend on which pad you chose either It being cheap or high end.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

A good set for general daily driving should be fine for a good time. I had Toyo proxes for 2 years which needed replacing due to my camber wearing the inner edges (I have aftermarket suspension).

Thanks Eezie, that sounds good, I take it (in that case) that the brake pads will be cheap as chips.

390 per month on a 2k deposit with 12,000 miles is still disgusting, I'm going to shop around and join the 86 club in Nov.

Thanks for the help, my only worry was coughing 300-400 per month finance for parts to be super expensive

Mine has cost bugger all so far in two years.
4 tyres brakes all round, an oil and filter every year and I had the diff and gearbox oil done.
Averages around 34/35mpg.

Now ask how much I DIDN'T need to spend on it...

40 minutes ago, Iliketosleep said:

Thanks mate, do they wear easily and need replacing regularly?

I generally find I get around 36-45,000 miles out of a set of pads and discs. With stock discs and pads it's around £500 to change them. If you are heavy on the brakes then expect to change them more regularly. I do a number of track days and a sprint season in my car as well as daily driving. YMMV of course. 

It's a relatively cheap car to maintain. 10K or yearly service intervals whichever comes sooner. The 60K and 80K service are the most expensive due to spark plug change and fuel filter change respectively. 

Tyres are around £80 per corner. 

It's a very reliable car if you keep to the service intervals. 

38 minutes ago, Iliketosleep said:

Thanks Eezie, that sounds good, I take it (in that case) that the brake pads will be cheap as chips.

390 per month on a 2k deposit with 12,000 miles is still disgusting, I'm going to shop around and join the 86 club in Nov.

Thanks for the help, my only worry was coughing 300-400 per month finance for parts to be super expensive

Pads are expensive. They are around £300 for a set. Parts are not super expensive, it's a £25K car new. If you are buying a 2019 car you will have four years warranty left, so it will only need routine servicing. On the Primacy tyre they last very well around 14K for the rears and 20K for the fronts. It will only cost you for consumables and I would expect another 20K out of your brake pads unless you drive like a loon. 

I think my brake change cost around around the £600 mark and that was for discs and pads. Made the vital mistake of not realising the trd disc are slightly bigger

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Pads are expensive. They are around £300 for a set. Parts are not super expensive, it's a £25K car new. If you are buying a 2019 car you will have four years warranty left, so it will only need routine servicing. On the Primacy tyre they last very well around 14K for the rears and 20K for the fronts. It will only cost you for consumables and I would expect another 20K out of your brake pads unless you drive like a loon. 

Still on original tyres ... so over 30K ... but then I don't hoon it everywhere ...

All of the 17+ models are very refined and have alot of the issues fixed from earlier cars.

However if servicing and general maintenance is going to be tight, perhaps look at a slightly order and cheaper car with a better finance rate, i.e: 

reasonable.jpg

1 hour ago, Eezie86 said:

I think my brake change cost around around the £600 mark and that was for discs and pads. Made the vital mistake of not realising the trd disc are slightly bigger emoji23.png

The TRD is a standard car with a bodykit added at the port of entry, so the discs are the same. 

1 hour ago, will300 said:

All of the 17+ models are very refined and have alot of the issues fixed from earlier cars.

However if servicing and general maintenance is going to be tight, perhaps look at a slightly order and cheaper car with a better finance rate, i.e: 

reasonable.jpg

Thanks, that looks a lot better. Do you know if the 2017 model has a decent infomatic panel? Just for Google maps/nav for traveling to Scotland

Edit: Sorry that's really lazy of me I could just look at a spec sheet, apologies

The TRD is a standard car with a bodykit added at the port of entry, so the discs are the same. 
The 277mm discs don't fit on mine, had to be the 295mm

Several of us have had the 60k/6yr service since Toyota changed their pricing structure and it includes the cost of changing the spark plugs (whether it's needed or not since mine had only done 40k lol). It now costs £395 (£316 if you've joined the 5yr+ club) but used to cost £600 for that service gulp

3 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Still on original tyres ... so over 30K ... but then I don't hoon it everywhere ...

I am on 40k miles on original primacy tyres. They still have 4.5mm left on them lol. Might change them as I don't like they way they handle in the wet going around tight roundabouts as they lose traction with even the slightest application of power 

1 hour ago, Eezie86 said:

277 was for the primo version. Most 86/BRZ are the full 295.

2 years ownership of a 2012 model has cost me. (excluding mods) 

Tires £410 fitted for PS4s

Disks and pads (excluding track day usage) £400

Service £250 per year /10k

£75 for an aircon recharge. 

That's with 20k miles in the 2 years. It's not that expensive to run imo. 

277 was for the primo version. Most 86/BRZ are the full 295.
2 years ownership of a 2012 model has cost me. (excluding mods) 
Tires £410 fitted for PS4s
Disks and pads (excluding track day usage) £400
Service £250 per year /10k
£75 for an aircon recharge. 
That's with 20k miles in the 2 years. It's not that expensive to run imo. 
I didn't realise they went on the primo, though the trd was special lol

14 hours ago, Eezie86 said:

All UK cars have the bigger discs apart from the 29 or so Primo cars sold. 

13 hours ago, NJay said:

Several of us have had the 60k/6yr service since Toyota changed their pricing structure and it includes the cost of changing the spark plugs (whether it's needed or not since mine had only done 40k lol). It now costs £395 (£316 if you've joined the 5yr+ club) but used to cost £600 for that service gulp

It's worth pointing out that the spark plug change is done on mileage, not age. A low mileage car that was 6 years old would not warrant the spark plug change. However, all those that have been subject to the valve spring recall generally had their plugs change as it was free to do whilst the engine was out and you only needed to pay for the plugs themselves. 

They're very cheap to run and maintain, mpg is worse than you'd think though.

But paying that amount monthly...hmmm. There's so many other interesting cars for £400 a month! I'd go for an older/cheaper gt86 personally - the cars are well made and don't age badly.