James-

Oil Filter Help

Hi there,

I'm getting a service done tomorrow and I've got 2 oil filters and have no idea which to get fitted tbh.

I ordered the OEM Subaru one and shortly after I thought about getting a performance HKS one...

Now the weird thing is the OEM Subaru one is much bigger than the HKS one... almost twice the size.

Subaru = 15208AA130 (this is the same filter that is currently on the car... so this obviously is the "right one".
the HKS one though, is it better? Despite it being smaller in size? Is it suitable?

HKS = TYPE 1 - 68H-65
                           M20 X P1.5

Here's some pictures...
If it's any help its for a 69 plate Toyota GT86. Facelift

Is the HKS okay to use? And is it actually any better if anyone has any use?

Cheers,

James

oilfilter1.jpg

oilfilter2.jpg

Subaru filters are unique.Even toyota uses only theirs and they are made by Tokyo Roki and is very highly rated.
Since it is an inverted filter, the bypass valve is key and the pressure it opens at is 23 nm. All other filters have a lower bypass , so I would not use HKS.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Subaru filters are unique.Even toyota uses only theirs and they are made by Tokyo Roki and is very highly rated.
Since it is an inverted filter, the bypass valve is key and the pressure it opens at is 23 nm. All other filters have a lower bypass , so I would not use HKS.

Out of interest do you know if you have to prime the oil filter? Ie fill it with a bit of oil before screwing it down, or just putting some oil on the o-ring enough?

Out of interest do you know if you have to prime the oil filter? Ie fill it with a bit of oil before screwing it down, or just putting some oil on the o-ring enough?
Applying a bit on O ring is needed but priming is hard as the filter inverts. You will need to add a small quantity and leave it vertical for 5 mins for the filter media to absorb before inverting and screwing it on. I will not bother on it to be honest.

When you get the new oil in and the new oil filter installed, prime the oil system by pressing the clutch and accelerator pedals all the way. 

That kills the spark and let the engine crank for as long as you need it to get the oil through the engine. 

When you get the new oil in and the new oil filter installed, prime the oil system by pressing the clutch and accelerator pedals all the way. 
That kills the spark and let the engine crank for as long as you need it to get the oil through the engine. 
Never knew this!

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk