Whizo

TD or Cobra Cat Back

Hi, I have finally got some time off work and wanted to start the modding process on my GT86.  I used to have a BMW Z4 a while ago and that had a Cobra exhaust on it that sounded amazing, popped and made the perfect deep roar.  

My question is which Cat back system sounds deeper, not raspy, the TD non res or the Cobra?  Also which one is louder?  Thanks all.

I have the cobra resonated. Gives a great tone no drone. And nicely throaty. Little video give you an idea.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f31215d230c4/VID-20200730-WA0009.mp4

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Are you planning on fitting an aftermarket manifold at any point? If so I’d highly recommend the TD resonated or super resonated system. On the factory manifold the non-resonated Cobra is fine (all be it a bit raspy) but if you go for a primary decat then it’s absurdly loud. Tbh even the resonated Cobra cat back is to loud if you do a lot of motorway driving, you get a really nasty resonance at around 3k rpm which becomes quite unpleasant over time.

9 hours ago, Whizo said:

Hi Neil.  Not looking at any other exhaust mods, just a cat back box for now 

The cat-back on its own won't give you any extra performance.

I'd go for the TD option. 

I have a TD turbo'd 86 with 2ns sports cat and Super res system and it sounds like a OEM+ system. 

Very nice and deep tone low down and no drone at all on the motorway. It is barely louder at 70 mph but get's nice and loud when you step on it. 

Also with the TD you can choose different mid pipe if let's say the one you order is too loud or too quiet speak to Mike and order one. 

With the TD If you are installing yourself you'll need longer bolts high tensile bolts and penny washers to be able to secure it to the front pipe. 

17 hours ago, Whizo said:

Hi Neil.  Not looking at any other exhaust mods, just a cat back box for now 

Fair enough. It’s just something to think about. I bought the Cobra non res catback on the same basis but in the long run I could’ve saved myself 4 or 500 quid quid just by going straight to the TD super res. The Cobra backbox is very small (and largely empty), so it starts It will always be a very loud system.

Thanks all for the replies.  I have decided to go with the TD option.  They are also not too far from me so will have a drive done and get it bought and fitted whilst there.  Thanks again all