Leeky

GR86 Finally Spied

I think i read approx 175lb/ft of torque, i'm no expert, is that going to be something to write home about? I mean is that going to be a night and day difference over the current engine? 

I would love to see it come boosted but I guess then it falls awkwardly in Toyota's lineup with the 2.0 litre Supra. 

Either way I'm excited to see what the outcome is. I just guess I've fallen in love with the current car. I hope the next gen goes above and beyond it. 

1 hour ago, Sleazyboii said:

I think i read approx 175lb/ft of torque, i'm no expert, is that going to be something to write home about? I mean is that going to be a night and day difference over the current engine? 

I would love to see it come boosted but I guess then it falls awkwardly in Toyota's lineup with the 2.0 litre Supra. 

Either way I'm excited to see what the outcome is. I just guess I've fallen in love with the current car. I hope the next gen goes above and beyond it. 

My car with a TD NA package makes 178lb/ft thought it is noticeably more torquey than a stock car. It will probably hold a bit more torque throughout the rev range. I would not expect a night and day difference, but you will notice it. 217bhp again is 4bhp more than mine, so not a lot of difference but over a stock car you would notice it. The point of the car is it doesn't have a turbocharger, it's the NA responsiveness which is the cars real selling point. I too am looking forward to it. I've got a GR Yaris on order, but am going to do two years finance on it and see how things pan out in terms of the new GR86. 

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

My car with a TD NA package makes 178lb/ft thought it is noticeably more torquey than a stock car. It will probably hold a bit more torque throughout the rev range. I would not expect a night and day difference, but you will notice it. 217bhp again is 4bhp more than mine, so not a lot of difference but over a stock car you would notice it. The point of the car is it doesn't have a turbocharger, it's the NA responsiveness which is the cars real selling point. I too am looking forward to it. I've got a GR Yaris on order, but am going to do two years finance on it and see how things pan out in terms of the new GR86. 

When you swap your keys for the Yaris... 😉

Top 10 Little Known Facts About 'The Terminator'

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

it's the NA responsiveness which is the cars real selling point

This would imply that GT86's with forced induction have lost responsiveness which is simply not true.

The car's selling point is that it's cheap for a rwd coupe, fairly lightweight and fairly focussed. A turbo would have added a few grand to the price, but not impacted negatively on the weight or focus.

26 minutes ago, Adamd said:

This would imply that GT86's with forced induction have lost responsiveness which is simply not true.

It's not true for a supercharger but there is always an element of response lag with a turbo.

I think they should have gone turbo. Something like fords 1.6 from the fiesta easily tuneable and makes decent power for a small unit.

i understand the point of the car but for 90% of drivers the turbo would be quicker and a lot more useable especially on the road

1 hour ago, Adamd said:

I'm afraid it is true. A turbo or even a supercharged car cannot have the throttle responsiveness as an NA car. The point is made when adjusting the throttle at high rpms, mid corner. All this may depend upon how sensitive your right foot is.

Being a bit factual on forced induction and on new platform, our cars never set the sales charts on fire to warrant big investments. We are lucky that the car survives as a MK 2. On the FI topic, most aftermarket Turbo is decat and have not been able to map to existing dual cata. Even with SC and both cats and a petrol particulate filter , it will struggle to meet Euro 6B. Aftermarket stuff does not meet any emission regs.
Not saying its not possible to make it clear emissions but needs investment and in this situaton , I do not think it will get it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I see problem that +5K to price may halve even current sales numbers. So no matter what some may add to wishlist .. if they change formula of "good enough for cheap" .. oncoming new one has high chance being sold in small numbers like that of supra and due that soon canceled due being sales flop. And the more performance added, the higher price and higher competition. If there are very small number of cars made in current class, there are loads up there. Carmakers are into this not for charity but to make money. And developing costs a lot. If it's not recouped with sales & profits ..

17 hours ago, Lauren said:

I'm afraid it is true. A turbo or even a supercharged car cannot have the throttle responsiveness as an NA car. The point is made when adjusting the throttle at high rpms, mid corner. All this may depend upon how sensitive your right foot is.

So we agree at least, that any difference is barely perceptible. My main point being forced induction would not put off any potential customers.

I think it seems to have a few bits taken from the GR Supra like the duck bill spoiler which I like. Agree with others it does look like a refresh rather than completely new car, but think that is a good thing due to the great chassis. Believe due to them wanting to keep it under the power of the 2.0 GR Supra there will be no turbo. Not sure how much of the lights are covered but hope they’re less square than they look on this mule camo car. Guessing this is not on TNGA platform due to Subaru involvement, chassis and boxer engine.

The renders invoke the Hyundai Coupe S3, and not in a particularly good way. I suppose Subaru will be happy if they don't have to retool the production line entirely for the GR. Maybe they'll manage to sort out the cold gear shifts this time around?

6 hours ago, Joolz said:

I think it seems to have a few bits taken from the GR Supra like the duck bill spoiler which I like. Agree with others it does look like a refresh rather than completely new car, but think that is a good thing due to the great chassis. Believe due to them wanting to keep it under the power of the 2.0 GR Supra there will be no turbo. Not sure how much of the lights are covered but hope they’re less square than they look on this mule camo car. Guessing this is not on TNGA platform due to Subaru involvement, chassis and boxer engine.

Yep. All you honestly need though is a bit more torque and it's plenty fun enough. The current chassis is excellent. If it's not broke.... I'm not convinced the 2 litre Supra will be offered in the UK, but we shall see. I would say that the GR Yaris may be in part the reason why the power is not too similar around the 260bhp mark, but in all fairness a GT86 with 200bhp is plenty fun enough. It does look unlikely that it will use the TNGA platform, which has a lot to do with running a boxer engine and also the Subaru connection in the same way that the Supra doesn't use TNGA platform either due to it's collaboration and shared chassis with BMW. But all said and done, it's the last hurrah for the NA engine and that is to be applauded as pretty much only the MX5 offers something similar. 

The 86 is too heavy to pull off the NA trick in this era. Mazda pulled it off with the ND when they revised their 2.0 unit in 2018 and kept the car at 1000kg. Unless this new GR86 is going to be lighter I can't see how much difference the FA24 is going to make.

The current chassis is great but its engine has always been the achilles heel, its comes from a company with an archaic view on engine technology and trends. A compact inline 3 turbo unit like the GR Yaris or Fiesta ST would be fantastic, I can't imagine its going to any longer or heavier than the FA24.

Sorry, but the FA-20 / 24 has character and a brilliant layout (apart from spark plug access), giving it a low CofG.  Thank goodness for Subaru making the only flat 4 left in production.

A three-cylinder turbo?  What a way to ruin the character of a sports car.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, Lauren said:

I've got a GR Yaris on order....

Really? We didn't know.....

On 8/18/2020 at 4:38 PM, MartinT said:

Sorry, but the FA-20 / 24 has character and a brilliant layout

The engine is still the let down on this car, had no character from the factory (sound and power delivery). Obviously adequate enough to buy one and powerful enough and I'm not even on about the torque dip as that wasn't an issue for me either, but the engine character is missing.

I also read a post recently by a Prodrive engineer who claimed that the WRX EJ motors actually had a higher COG vs the I4 competition due to the ancillaries. I'm not sure how that translates to this platform as the engine is definitely mounted lower than the WRX but I for one wouldn't mind an I4 that sounds better and peaks higher.