Leeky

GR86 Finally Spied

Seems to match the renders... I like it!

Not sure now if these are renders or actual intentionally leaked pictures from Toyota... the interior shot looks very real and I can’t see any inconsistencies or photoshop evidence across any of these pictures.

EFA9F9EC-8F11-4BD4-B58B-F2D1CC7DDCFB.jpeg

975D09AB-77D5-466F-8609-B95983209534.jpeg

84AC4764-B468-4A21-884F-93D55505A836.png

56B76D1D-80BA-4D40-9FB8-66D16C2A69AE.jpeg

1CD1BFC2-7C1B-4851-8152-34377FFF4F2B.jpeg

D7DDA4A1-272E-43E0-839C-8AB78C3C1C09.jpeg

8367E523-28B1-4019-9303-84D7359BD594.jpeg

If this is the new one, I don’t like it. The body shape and size suggests it’s the original chassis. What happened to Toyotas new modular chassis they were going to use. The wheels are still cheap diamond cut bling. 
the headlights and bumper look like a scaled down GTR. “All blocky”. The Rear lights are Honda NSX as well.

They’ve taken away the cars individuality that I love.

At least they’ve finally allowed you to have an armrest and a cup holder at the same time.

That LCD screen shows that most probably greatly reduced capability of upgrade headunit, as too much integrated into new one. It's generic modern trend, but i hate it.

Only thing i somewhat like, seats look like having a bit more side support. Oh, and i guess there will be less issues with side indicator flimsy mount in bumper. Though diagonal bumper/fender line also may mean bent fenders on slightest frontal contact.

Exterior looks, certainly changed to worse.

I like the wheels... they’d look great on a MK1...

... otherwise I think the MK1 is better looking in 99% of places. And there isn’t enough improvement/extra power here to make me want to spend all that extra money to trade up to a MK2 when my MK1 wasn’t exactly cheap and I’ve now modded it just the way I like it.

But as its clearly an evolution of the MK1 chassis underneath we’ll probably find most exhaust, brake, suspension mods would go straight onto a MK2.

Nothing wrong with the old platform and with all the turbo'd / charged motors its shown it can handle the power, just needs to bring the 80's interior into the 21st century.

That. Is. Not. Pretty.

Front end is OK, just a bit too blocky, but the rear is somewhere between NSX and last gen Vantage and looks awful.

Still has a chance to not come like that though. I expect the 370Z replacement to look better and probably closer rivals than last gen.

Negative: I don't like the frontal view, as the car lost its identity. What I also don't like, is that tilted i-Phone thing.

Positive: At least a new version is being worked on. The rear end looks stunning.

this rarely happens but the current 86....looks like a newer car than that next one?? The GR looks like someone went ' I like jaguar F types, and austin martins...can we put a F type style kit on the front and AM style back lights?' 

I get concepts and the test track versions can change alot (i remember the original GT86 driving round and its weird overly large front grills) but its mostly just bumpers/skirts...shame really, like the supra, Toyota's taken a nice looking car and made a new version that looks like a cheap version of a mid range luxury sport car.  

Thanks for stealing the pics of the USA forum. From those spy shots it looks like the brakes, rear suspension and exhaust layout are exactly the same. So for some the brakes will over heat too quickly on track and for other the rear suspension travel will seem too limited giving a harsher ride than necessary. 
Has anyone else spotted that the boot lid seems to bulge out a bit? This would increase boot capacity slightly?

No child is going to mistake this rendition as a “Fellari”! Toyota have done something wrong here.

Really surprised that it looks like those renders and seems to be a reskin/rework of the current car rather than a new platform.

You're right @Luke, it doesn't look anywhere near as sporty as the current version, it's a bit dumpy and very bland. Hard to believe Toyota can make the GR Yaris - a great-looking rally rep based on a fairly uninteresting hatchback - and then this. It's like they let the people that styled the basic Yaris loose on this.

I’m cautiously optimistic. Styling definitely not sure on. I’m surprised people thought the car would be an all new platform etc. Subaru are effectively the manufacturer and their general development is glacial at best. Not a complaint, just an observation. The photos show the general platform is very similar, a lot of the tooling might even be transferable. Gives hope that development cost will be low helping to keep the price reasonable. Additionally one can hope this allows a strong aftermarket. Hopefully this will keep the spirt of the car similar to current which is good as far as I’m concerned. Really I’m just happy that this type of car still exists. 

Looks like its based off the current platform. E.g. doors and rear quarters look very similar. Not keen on the styling, obviously we are a few years out yet and things may/ will change. I've also read the rumours of a turbo seem to be untrue and that its more than likely going to be an NA Fa24. Giving us 220hp ish. 

The FA-24 engine will bring immediate torque improvements, which the car needs more than power. If it's built well, and will possibly have lower compression ratio, it should boost well.