Leeky

Mishimoto Thermostatic Oil Cooler - too cool?

Hey All,

I’ve recently fitted a Mishimoto Thermostatic (85c) Oil Cooler to the 86 and im at Castle Combe today looking at how its performing.

Track temps are all good but the drive here on the M4 was at 63c (as you still get a little oil flow through the thermostat) which is probably a bit too cool now I think?

I’m running the factory 0w-20 so probably not doing the engine any real harm but I'm thinking I may need to block it off a little especially for the Winter.

Im thinking if I switch from a UK front plate to JDM it’ll hang down enough to block off some of the air flow. Then I can always take off the front plate on track to get back full flow. What do you think?

Thanks. Yeah thats what my mate said, but on average I do one track day per month so i’d be constantly taking duck tape off and on. Would also leave sticky residue.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion I’ll probably go Jap size plate for the road and then just take it off on track.

As the Mishimoto Cooler mounts dead centre, a Jap size plate would totally sit in its way blocking all but the bottom inch off.

Unfortunately this is the case, Mishimoto do sell a 92c thermastat which I'm running, but I still find I have to block the cooler off. 

You can also get a 100c stat from a few places. 

Thanks

Will

Hey peeps, just thought i’d share my findings for those interested.

I bought a Japanese spec car numberplate mount (£24 from Toyota - part number SU003-01539) and a 13x8 front plate.

My theory appears to have worked and now off track just driving around town and up/down the motorway my oil temps are around 74c. So an improvement of around 11c.

I’ve got a Nurburgring trip next month so i’m planning on driving there with the new square plate so its blocking airflow to the cooler and will just switch back to my UK size front plate just before going on track so that I have full cooling.

Its just two small plastic screws so takes 30seconds to switch plates.

B04EA577-D523-47CE-A6C9-AAE83E492D2C.jpeg