Portalfl0w

Wheel / Brake Squeaking

Hi, 

I've seen a couple similar threads to this one already posted but none had the exact same issue as me so I thought I'd ask :)

Here's the problem: Occasionally when driving for a while, in most cases longer than 30 minutes, the rear offside wheel starts squeaking.

Once it starts, it just keeps squeaking at all speeds/under acceleration etc. The sound disappears when braking or turning right.

Sometimes pressing the brakes really hard does 'fix' it for a bit, but it usually comes back shortly. When stationary for a while it does seem to 'cool down' and go away until the next longer drive. 

Took it to a local garage to get the wheel off and have a look at the pads etc, they said that there's still a lot of life left in the pads and they just cleaned it up a bit but the issue persisted.

There was nothing apparent to them that would be causing a squeak, but I wasn't driving long enough for it to actually appear before I got there...

Has anyone had a similar issue to this? Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

PS: It's a 2014 86, 64k miles

My rear brakes were irritating me with squeals, but only when pedal pressure was applied. Occasionally after crappy weather it would squeak at low speeds too. I lived with it for a couple of years, but recently had to replace the discs due to wear, and obviously the issue went away with new hardware. I have no doubt it was something about the pads. They're pretty tough for an OEM fit.

You could check your slider pins and boots for good grease and no corrosion, or just move them to see if they're sliding well. Any issues here can lead to premature wear and sticking. Mine looked fine at time of change (62k), but I had acquired replacements so in went the new ones.

My brakes have squeaked for a while now, but only on braking at a certain pressure. It’ll disappear after braking hard but inevitably will come back.

I tried a softer OEM pad from Toyota which was quiet but they melt on trackdays! I currently use EBC yellowstuff pads and they squeak but are great on track. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s likely to be a trade off.

If the squeal is really annoying you and you don’t want to track the car aggressively, then Toyota do a softer pad on request. You might get away with soft on the rears only?

Thanks everyone, good to hear that its likely nothing too serious but a shame that it seems so common.

Good point about the softer pads, might give those a go or change them in general :) 

I've also heard that doing some hard braking might help with the issue... time to do a few runs :D 

Hard braking .. probably meant bedding brake pads. Google on that. Usually several repeated hard braking (without complete stopping) and then drive for a while to cool off.

Softer? Probably more street oriented? If yes, such usually have lower working temps, and easier to bed at lower speeds or even during normal daily driving.

Properly bedded brakes ( = material of heated up pads evenly transferred onto brake rotors without any extra partial deposits/hotspots (which in turn may feel like as in myth of "warped rotors")) usually are much quieter or don't squeal at all, brake better and more consistently, and usually on bedded brakes both pads and rotors wear less.

Unfortunately the more track oriented pads are (have higher working temp range), the harder to bed them if driving without braking rules/limits on public roads, and even if they were bedded, after light braking common to daily driving, bedded layer soon gets worn/scraped off, resulting eg. in brake squeal returning after few days after trackday.

Thus best choice is to have two specialized pad set and switch to/from prior/post trackday, to have pros of each at right type of use and to not have to suffer cons at wrong one.

I had brake squeal within the first 10k miles from new. Toyota said it was fine and refused to do anything. I took them apart myself and cleaned it all up and greased the sliders, put a chamfer on the pads. Still squeaked. It would go away temporarily after some heavy braking but would come back after normal braking a few days later. 
I bit the bullet and replaced the pads and discs all round to anything other than Toyota and problem solved. Only reading this has reminded how much the squealing brakes used to annoy me.

Mine have been squeal free for 8 months.