Willtl

Aircon regas

Probably some of you will be horrified by this, but I just got my car re-gassed at Halfords autocentre. The Aircon had been non-existant for a while so I asked them to check it (they found a valve stuck open, which they replaced) and then got them to regas. Gas alone is £110 but I also paid £29 for the diagnosis, but still a lot cheaper than Toyota/Subaru.

I'll post again if I find the gas has all gone again.

Probably some of you will be horrified by this, but I just got my car re-gassed at Halfords autocentre. The Aircon had been non-existant for a while so I asked them to check it (they found a valve stuck open, which they replaced) and then got them to regas. Gas alone is £110 but I also paid £29 for the diagnosis, but still a lot cheaper than Toyota/Subaru.

I'll post again if I find the gas has all gone again.

Got mine done last year at local dealership for £50. Had told them that a rival dealership was doing it at that price, no questions, they matched it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe the car for certain model years had the expensive R1234YF gas . The rest have the much cheaper R134 gas. That is why the prices fluctuate , outside of dealer margin etc.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

I believe the car for certain model years had the expensive R1234YF gas . The rest have the much cheaper R134 gas. That is why the prices fluctuate , outside of dealer margin etc.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Hardly any cars had the R134A older type refrigerant, it was used for about 6 months. That all cars have R1234YF now means it's got a lot cheaper anyway. The cost therefore has come down significantly. Normally around £99 for a regas. The irony is that R134A is now getting more expensive! 

Top tip for keeping AC working is to never turn it off. 

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Agreed.

Never understood Turning it off for extended periods of time as the gas is used to keep the system lubricated. Turning it off drys the seals out allowing gas to escape costing more in the long run.

Also, it helps demist windows quicker when it's cold (nothing wrong with using AC and not having the dial set to cold as it results in drier air) and keeps you cooler when it's hot. Given the UK weather that could be a matter of minutes between the two lol

On 7/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, Lauren said:

Hardly any cars had the R134A older type refrigerant, it was used for about 6 months. That all cars have R1234YF now means it's got a lot cheaper anyway. The cost therefore has come down significantly. Normally around £99 for a regas. The irony is that R134A is now getting more expensive! 

Mine has it and I'm a September 2013 reg. I think it was used for the first couple of years until early 2014 models that followed the successful BMW challenge on it against the EU.

One advantage of it unless the system gets damaged and it leaks is that it does seem to be the 'lifetime of the car' gas it was sold as. I've never had a problem with it, never had a need for a re-gas and it still seems to be just as cold now as it was 7 years ago...

1 hour ago, Kaltorak said:

Frustratingly my local halfords dont have the correct connector to check my 62 plate.

Its so hot without A/C 😢

Your taking your car to Halfords !!!

You've got Toyota in Brentford.

27 minutes ago, GT86-Ian said:

Your taking your car to Halfords !!!

You've got Toyota in Brentford.

Ahh, yes, but at the moment I am in Poole with my folks. Its headed to Isleworth Toyota on Tuesday. I'm expecting a hefty bill :(

I was hoping for a quick fix before I drive to Anglesey this weekend....

Mine has packed in as well. Regassed but turns out the compressor clutch isnt engaging? Garage thinks it might be electrical, but are going to do some research (not a Toyota garage but reliable independent). Anyone come across this?

2 hours ago, mattt said:

Mine has packed in as well. Regassed but turns out the compressor clutch isnt engaging? Garage thinks it might be electrical, but are going to do some research (not a Toyota garage but reliable independent). Anyone come across this?

heard the relay can die, think you can swap it with the horn one to test.

28 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

Yep, happened on mine. Relays are under the bonnet and take 10 secs to swap. Leave them swapped and then buy some off of ebay for cheap as I couldn't find them new anywhere online - I actually bought 2 so have a spare if it helps.

11 hours ago, 86iain said:

I'm assuming they re gas on the recall, given my understanding is they take the engine out.

Can you not just say it's shit out since then?

Over a year since I had that done. Works out of warranty. 

On 8/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, Captain Duff said:

Mine has it and I'm a September 2013 reg. I think it was used for the first couple of years until early 2014 models that followed the successful BMW challenge on it against the EU.

One advantage of it unless the system gets damaged and it leaks is that it does seem to be the 'lifetime of the car' gas it was sold as. I've never had a problem with it, never had a need for a re-gas and it still seems to be just as cold now as it was 7 years ago...

It wasn't used for the first couple of years, it was used for a short period in 2013-14. I have a 2012 built car and that is on the R1234YF. Mine has been fine as well. Never turning it off helps here. 

On 8/11/2020 at 8:18 PM, Rich196 said:

cheers for this - it was exactly that. Aircon now lovely and cold! :)