The Minion

ABS/Traction control warnings

Had car service and MOT 2 weeks ago.

ABS and Traction control warning lights came on when leaving a roundabout. Still on after restarting engine.

Any ideas? My 5 year warranty has just expired and I'm intending to start an extended in 3 weeks time so don't really want to go to Toyota unless it's something to do with Service/MOT.

Fuse, sensor?

You'll only know for sure if you have access to an ABS fault reader (not the usual OBD one).

Odds are some monkey has bashed one of your sensors or nicked a wire and now owes you a new one. Could be worth looking in your front wheel arches at the cables, as they're where the most movement occurs.

It occurs to me that we've had some pretty vile and soggy weather recently that could short any bared wire.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look. Tried disconnecting battery and checked fuses to no avail. If I get no joy I may just wait until I can ask the Toyota garage that did the service that if they sort it out free I'll extend warranty, no sorting  then I'll go to a different franchised main dealer for the warranty.

Yeah, wheel speed sensors are things that both abs & electronic stability nannies use. It's not that hard to damage them with some careless work with wheels. Was car service work also with something brake related, eg. caliper overhaul/pad change?

Straightforward service, no comments about anything. Was done on 17th with MOT. I haven't been driving like a maniac, just seemed to come on when moving away at a roundabout slowly!

I do have a good relationship with my dealer so hopefully will be rectified without too much expense.

EDIT just realised this was an old topic

Was just going to say the ABS light often comes on after the car has been on a rolling road of brake test dyno etc  as the car gets confused with different wheels going at different speeds. Usually clears itself after a few road miles and a restart.

18 hours ago, Church said:

Funny, that "pedal dance" some use on track for switching off nannies, IIRC originates exactly with purpose to serve as diagnostic mode for dyno.

Indeed I know they used it on mine when it was on the rolling road. Just so happens it is also good fun to use on track ;)