Sean-A

Valve failure 2014 GT86

Not been driving my car much this year but has had it regular services with Toyota recommended oils. About 2 weeks ago I had a good drive around the country lanes, wasn’t fast driving but cruising around. Was about 30-40mile round trip. Parked it up for the night. Woke up next day to drive my partner to work I started it and it sounded like a proper Subaru I mean that rumble sound. I drove it 5 mins to her work and it cut out. Wouldn’t start. It didn’t run very well driving there either. I thought maybe it was just cold and had a misfire. I checked oil, level was fine. I left it for a few hours and got my dad to come have a look as he runs his own garage. Got it stated, it sounded like metal clunking so shut it off instantly. Got it towed home and waited till today to get it to the garage. Got sump off and found all this inside. First thing I see is the valve head. Here is a picture of most of bits in the sump.

only mods are decat exhaust back.

I checked my car for the valve spring recall but it does not come under the right vin number. Should I speak with Toyota about this or is this just my own problem to deal with now it’s out of warranty? 

Appreciate any help or advice anyone gives

[EDIT - This car is at 65k miles]

Thanks

Sean

63156EE7-0AC6-4B4D-86F4-225173415A99.jpeg

E941A308-2BA2-4895-8316-4CD2E5E216D1.jpeg

Edited by Sean-A

Be surprised if you get any help from Toyota as out of warranty but blows out the water  that only 12 and 13 plates are subject to VSR recall if it is premature valve spring failure 

IF recall affected valve springs are responsible. It's not as if there cannot be any other reason caused failure.

Meanwhile i guess to get running sooner and for reasonable cost, i'd start searching for used engine from some breaker-yard, instead of spending few months for naught on extended failure diagnostics and probably for no gain arguing with toyota.

Certainly worth getting in touch with them and asking if they'll do anything as a goodwill gesture, given a) the known valve spring issue, and b) the fact that it's only just out of warranty, and inside the 100,000 miles that they would have warrantied. It's not like the life on those parts is time-based (e.g. like rubber hoses that degrade over time); if you'd used your car more inside the warranty period then this would've been very much Toyota's problem.

The worst they can do is say no.

4 hours ago, nikndel said:

Be surprised if you get any help from Toyota as out of warranty but blows out the water  that only 12 and 13 plates are subject to VSR recall if it is premature valve spring failure 

This is incorrect information. 

Cars affected were built (not registered) between April 2012 until May 2013. @Sean-A if you are sure your car is not part of the recall then you will likely have to fund it yourself. If it is then contact Toyota with the evidence. Looks like it has made a real mess. :( 

If you have to pay for it and talk to them kindly a new engine is going to be expensive but they do on occasion offer a very big discount, on replacement parts. For example when my wiring loom needed replacing Toyota gave me something like 60% off the cost of a new one as it was unusual for this to fail. I would speak to them either way, nothing to lose. 

Iv been on the Toyota recall website and entered my VIN but shows that its not in the criteria. Is there a possibility the engine could have been from the 2012-2013 batch?

31 minutes ago, Sean-A said:

Iv been on the Toyota recall website and entered my VIN but shows that its not in the criteria. Is there a possibility the engine could have been from the 2012-2013 batch?

Might be worth phoning the dealer.. my car is a 2014 63 plate but it was eligible for the recall as I guess it was built in that time. 

I suppose you could always turn it into an opportunity to put in a block that is designed for boost, but it would delay getting back on the road substantially. Perhaps you could replace only one of the short blocks?

Sorry to hear and see. As people are suggesting above, first speak to Toyota. If it does not work out , on the FB page , someone was selling a 2017 engine with less than 10K miles for £4K , which is an option to consider.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BRZ-123 said:

Sorry to hear and see. As people are suggesting above, first speak to Toyota. If it does not work out , on the FB page , someone was selling a 2017 engine with less than 10K miles for £4K , which is an option to consider.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

It's worth pointing out that if the OP can go through Toyota's loss allowance scheme, a brand new engine could be cheaper than that with the loss allowance discount. 

Will be calling them tomorrow. Had another look today and seen this.

Looks like the valve seat has also been destroyed. After Iv spoke to Toyota I will take the block apart and see the full scale of this. That’s if Toyota don’t want the car to look and dismantle themselves.

019443A2-2419-4BDC-9479-EC11A5EADA7A.jpeg

Spoke to Toyota UK on the 29th June, explained what had happened. They wouldn’t do anything. Have now had the engine replaced and had a mechanic inspect my old engine to find the valve spring had snapped. The end of the valve stem was inside my exhaust manifold. They even found small chunks of metal in the inlet. Is there anyway to see if the engine in my car was built in the dates on there recall?

F2B86991-0669-42C3-B9B6-7ADB11018809.jpeg

8315321C-4F4E-4BF8-A046-B990FA93C758.jpeg

950BD273-D201-4C7C-BAD7-8030A984127A.jpeg

5766AA66-8BC1-4E76-97A3-4690E3710BBD.jpeg

I looked at the pictures and thought what’s the valve head doing over there! That really did make a mess. Out of interest, how long did it take to swap the engine?