Leonard

Hey GT86 Crew

Hey!

Leonard here from Sheffield, UK. I've owned my GT86 for 5 days now and utterly in love. 

Gonna have a good look through the blogs and classifieds and slowly add mods as I go. 

Will be happy to share projects with the community. 

Leonard

IMG-20200621-WA0007.jpg

20200624_220138.jpg

20200624_220817.jpg

20200624_205222.jpg

Welcome. I saw your post about headlights on the other forum. They don't look like standard headlights, or they are the lesser ones from a Primo or lower spec car. The DRL should be in the headlight unit and is a strip. Has the car had any history in terms of accidents? The OEM headlights are very expensive. I wonder if someone has replaced the headlights as I can't work out any other reason why you would not have the HID units with LED DRL's in.  I also noticed you have a 61 plate which pre-dates the release of the car by at least 5 months. Guessing a private plate?

Hey guys! Thanks for being so welcoming. 

@Lauren this is interesting! I actually never thought about the plates. I just bought like this so unsure if they're private, and thats really strange that my headlights are just big standard. Its an aussie import, not sure if that explains any of this. 

So my front "foggies" are acting like DRLs at the moment. I intend on getting aftermarket head and rear lights anyways, I'll keep an eye out for deals. 

So if these were OEMs, would I have the DRL light strip AND the bumper foggies on in the day? 

Leonard

14 hours ago, Lauren said:

Welcome. I saw your post about headlights on the other forum. They don't look like standard headlights, or they are the lesser ones from a Primo or lower spec car. The DRL should be in the headlight unit and is a strip. Has the car had any history in terms of accidents? The OEM headlights are very expensive. I wonder if someone has replaced the headlights as I can't work out any other reason why you would not have the HID units with LED DRL's in.  I also noticed you have a 61 plate which pre-dates the release of the car by at least 5 months. Guessing a private plate?

Front bumper has no headlight washer jets either so more than likely a new bumper? 

I've had it history checked, no crashes, only 27k on the clock. 2012 originated in Oz. Thats all I know! 

I'm exploring this out of interest but I'm so happy with it I'm not too worried. Just hope I can plug n play new headlights when I upgrade them. 

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Hey guys! Thanks for being so welcoming. 

@Lauren this is interesting! I actually never thought about the plates. I just bought like this so unsure if they're private, and thats really strange that my headlights are just big standard. Its an aussie import, not sure if that explains any of this. 

So my front "foggies" are acting like DRLs at the moment. I intend on getting aftermarket head and rear lights anyways, I'll keep an eye out for deals. 

So if these were OEMs, would I have the DRL light strip AND the bumper foggies on in the day? 

Leonard

It being a lower spec Australian import explains it all and also explains the incorrect registration making the car older than it actually is. I can't see it being a private plate. Do you have pics of the interior? Does it have manual aircon rather than climate control? You have the low spec headlights which are not HID as all models were in the UK at that time. The wiring will be different also. So it looks like you have a lower spec car than what you would have got in the UK for the same year >July 2012. 

I would also check whether it's had the valve spring recall as it will be affected, but I'm not sure how you would go about that with an import 

14 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It being a lower spec Australian import explains it all and also explains the incorrect registration making the car older than it actually is. I can't see it being a private plate. Do you have pics of the interior? Does it have manual aircon rather than climate control? You have the low spec headlights which are not HID as all models were in the UK at that time. The wiring will be different also. So it looks like you have a lower spec car than what you would have got in the UK for the same year >July 2012. 

I would also check whether it's had the valve spring recall as it will be affected, but I'm not sure how you would go about that with an import 

Well that's mixed news. I've heard about the valve springs on these models, I'll look into that. 

Yes the AC is manually operated. Has anyone on here got an aussie import? I'm sure I've seen one in the garages on either this forum or the other. 

Looks like new headlights will be a beauty of a project!!

Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna pull the front and rear lights out this weekend and take a pic of the wiring/connections. It would be interesting to see what the standard UK looks like in comparison if anyone got it. 

I can check the DIY posts. 

11 hours ago, 3782mc said:

The rear lights won’t be any different - but it would be interesting to see the fronts.

So I'd need to remove the bumper to remove the lights completely but theres loads of space behind them. 

Could anyone take a comparison shot of their front left headlight? 

20200626_093533.jpg

20200626_093622.jpg

Hi Leonard found your thread in here too lol. I've replied on the other forum.

The vlands come with two harnesses. an 8pin for euro market (high/low beam projectors plus led DRL clusters) like we have in the UK on all but primo. The vlands also come with a 6pin+3splice wires harness

I believe the latter is for the FRS which has 6pin like your photo but from what I can tell they have main(high)beam filament bulbs where the UK have the led DRLs but I think in your case you have two bulbs (side and parking) where we have the led DRLs? These high beams have a lower voltage sent through them on the FRS and act as DRLs.

So the question is where are your high beams?

It may make a difference. Whilst the vlands come with a 6pin harness that will probably fit your connector you may have to do a bit of trial and error to see what lights up when it's all plugged/spliced in :)

The UK primo has DRL instead of front fog lights so hopefully somebody with a UK primo can let us know if the vlands work on them :)

Hahaha I hated the right hand stalk at first but used to it now. 

Dude I'm just doing it, gonna get some lights. Appreciate all the help.

I can fix the problem once I've got it in front of me. 

High beams on the inside corner of each light. E.g. most right in the pic. 

I've put a WANTED post in the mix. 

20200626_202653.jpg

On 6/26/2020 at 1:10 PM, Leonard said:

Right hand light stalk with no front fog switch.

Hahaha I've bought a mutant. 

20200626_125323_001.jpg

Oh that's interesting, same rev counter as UK or higher spec models, but the temperature/fuel gauge is the lower spec with shorter needles. We should have a right hand indicator stalk, this is the correct layout for a RHD car, but for some completely daft reason that I cannot figure we have a LHD stalk layout on a RHD car. This started in the 80s, I blame Volkswagen. 

I guess your speedo is reading in MPH rather than KMH, which wonder if the Rev counter/Digital speedo has been changed for SVA? Is the speedo clock in MPH?

I love looking at regional differences! 😂

@Leonard, when we next have a Yorkshire meet, if you can come over, I'd love to look at your car to see all the AUS/UK differences. Hopefully we'll have a meet again in the not too distant future. 👍

@O'Keeffe 88, Mike I reckon as soon the pubs/restaurants are open we can start to look to do another meet! :)

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Oh that's interesting, same rev counter as UK or higher spec models, but the temperature/fuel gauge is the lower spec with shorter needles. We should have a right hand indicator stalk, this is the correct layout for a RHD car, but for some completely daft reason that I cannot figure we have a LHD stalk layout on a RHD car. This started in the 80s, I blame Volkswagen. 

I guess your speedo is reading in MPH rather than KMH, which wonder if the Rev counter/Digital speedo has been changed for SVA? Is the speedo clock in MPH?

I love looking at regional differences! 😂

The button for changing between mph and km/h isn't marked either - wonder if it works? 🤔

2 hours ago, spikyone said:

The button for changing between mph and km/h isn't marked either - wonder if it works? 🤔

No need for it to as you only have access to one speed system in Aus/NZ. The FR-S is the same. I'd imagine only Euro cars have it TBH

12 hours ago, Lauren said:

@Leonard, when we next have a Yorkshire meet, if you can come over, I'd love to look at your car to see all the AUS/UK differences. Hopefully we'll have a meet again in the not too distant future. 👍

@O'Keeffe 88, Mike I reckon as soon the pubs/restaurants are open we can start to look to do another meet! :)

Absolutely! Would be great to meet up again soon for a Cars and Carvery!

I'm going to make a separate post now for anyone on here who isn't on the FB group, but the Peak District drive is next Sunday (5th) - would be great to see some familiar faces, as well as some new ones, too! The start point is Cheterfield, so not far away from you at all, @Leonard, if you want to see what the 86 can do 👌