ttjt16

Latest US spec GT86 head unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Supplementary question: can it be retrofitted to earlier models?

From 2017 facelifts the size, and possibly shape, of the unit was different so may be not ... 

12 hours ago, gazza82 said:

From 2017 facelifts the size, and possibly shape, of the unit was different so may be not ... 

Thanks. Is that when the steering wheel controls were also introduced?

13 hours ago, gazza82 said:

Do you have a source? I'd be surprised if that's correct; the facelift is barely any different from the earlier cars on the inside. The only thing I could see them changing would be going to double DIN like everyone else uses - I can't believe they'd go from one non-standard size to another.

As I posted on the other forum, it's likely to be expensive to buy a new one, frankly better to buy a proper aftermarket head unit if you want it to sound any good.

Thanks for the responses all.

From following the link to ft86club.com it appears that US cars also have a reversing camera which displays the output on the rear view mirror? Is this standard fit?

It looks like the US head unit does not have DAB, which is a shame. 

What head units that are CarPlay compatible do people recommend at the moment?

Cheers,

Ellis

The facelift is double-DIN standard, but the bezel for the radio, at least on the BRZ, is a weird trapezoid shape.  You may need to rework it as I did for different head units.

41 minutes ago, MartinT said:

The facelift is double-DIN standard, but the bezel for the radio, at least on the BRZ, is a weird trapezoid shape.  You may need to rework it as I did for different head units.

Ah if they've gone to a double-DIN that makes sense.  Also makes it easier to fit a much better aftermarket stereo though 😉

The different shape is only true for the BRZs. 

The facelift 86s use the same size as the pre facelift. 

I think Subaru did that so they can fit a standard unit they were having on the shelf. 

All cars come to the UK with no head units. The HU and the alarm are being installed before the car is delivered to the customer. 

That’s interesting @vanko25, I was told by the Toyota dealer that I bought my car off that they also fit the DAB aerial and the locking wheel nuts at the docks too. Might explain why the DAB aerial isn’t properly integrated into the shark fin aerial - I have a MY17 facelift car.

3 hours ago, vanko25 said:

I think Subaru did that so they can fit a standard unit they were having on the shelf.   

Which made the MY17 Alpine upgrade (dab+, satnav, etc) <expletives deleted> expensive .... luckily I'd negotiated a discount with dealer when I ordered the BRZ (and expected a older model ... nice surprise) so it didn't hurt quite as much ... 😁

3 hours ago, ttjt16 said:

That’s interesting @vanko25, I was told by the Toyota dealer that I bought my car off that they also fit the DAB aerial and the locking wheel nuts at the docks too. Might explain why the DAB aerial isn’t properly integrated into the shark fin aerial - I have a MY17 facelift car.

There are literally loads of things that are fitted Port of Entry (POE) Portbury Docks as it is for UK cars. The alarm, is another. UK TRD's had the bodykit fitted at POE as another example same is true of wheels etc. 

@ttjt16 just fit an aftermarket head unit with Apple Car Play. There are tons out there and you'll likely get something better anyway that what is being offered in the US. 

These are good tips guys.

I'm really looking for a budget head unit that fits well, integrates with the standard GT86 USB socket, has Apple CarPlay (though Android Auto would be nice as an option), plays MP3s from a USB stick and has DAB. I assume that these would all be double DIN?

I'm happy with the standard GT86 audio quality and have a facelift late 2017 model GT86 (if there are any differences in the fittings).

I'd be very grateful of any recommendations that you can provide.

Thanks,

Ellis