LxrdVbz

Complete exhaust questions

Hey guys I've got a couple questions for you.

I know this might sounds a bit ricer for most of you but hey, just asking.

Planning to get a turbo kit in the future, at the moment I would like to get my gt86 as loud as possible but without getting raspy. I live in italy and down here we don't see many really loud cars, so I would like to stick out a bit with some extra Dbs. I've watched tons of videos on yt but actually I can't still tell how loud those babies can get. I'd love to have a deep growly sound, less raspy as possible. To be as clear as possible this is a video of a (really) loud gt86. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmAPC_uyvM

if you hit 8:00 when he is revving, the thing I would like to avoid is that raspiness when the rpms drop after he has revved. 

Btw my goal loudness is to set off a couple of allarms at full throttle and still loud at low rpms but without screaming "hey officer I'm on a plane".

I was oriented for the MXP comp rs Ti tips for the catback, but actually other than that I got no idea of what else to get as overpipe/headers.

Keep in mind that here in Italy an e92 m3 with the armitrix catback is considered reaaally loud, so plz lower your standars a bit eheh.

Some bangs would be lovely too! (but not popcorns, I mean straight up single gunshots)

the mxp comp rs only sounds really really good but actually I don't know how loud could it be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vma8Pbbidug&t=124s

I know I'm way to fussy but the sound component is way to important for me.

Really thanks for your help guys!

Sorry I mean non resonated catback. But that will be ridiculously loud. I personally wouldnt go that loud. If you are turbo charging in the near future then you can as a turbo will make the exhaust quieter but if you're going to keep it NA a while, then I wouldnt but each to their own.

Any reputable brand is fine I would think. Just not milltek

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@matrixprotein gotcha man thanks!

btw with all that flow in the exhaust (especially for the non resonated catback) wouldn’t it be raspy as hell? if you got any examples (even sketchy) I would really appreciate it 👍🏻

Hey mate,

I'm running a Tomei UEL Manifold, Decat front pipe, stock resonator and Berk muffler delete.

That's pretty much a straight pipe. I would recommend leaving the stock resonator because a res delete would be really really raspy.

This set up is pretty much as loud as you can get imo, and is really deep and bassy. Love it. Probs one of the loudest set ups in the UK haha

Hello LxrdVbz,

I'm going to make a post about this separately at some point but I think it's pretty hard to avoid rasp on this car with free flowing systems.

*It might be different for a turbo car though, my car is NA*

I swapped the headers for decat Tuning Developments EL and then installed a resonated single exit HKS cat-back WITH a silencer section. 

So:
- Retaining one CAT
- supposedly the quieter cat back option

I thought it might actually be too quiet but no, it was supper loud. Around 3k rpm rasped like fuck. At low revs it was nice, if a bit boomy (not good for motorways), and at high revs it screamed (very nice). But in the middle it was horrible, and for my own tastes too loud across the board.

Speaking to Mike at TD @Mike@TD.co.uk big part of the problem was single exit and small silencer section. They offer a resonated dual exit and a super resonated dual exit. These have a huge silencer section at the back similar to OEM, and a large resonator in the centre pipe. According to mike, the resonated one still rasps a bit in the mid range. The super resonated one is the only one that doesn't rasp with a catless header.

I've gone super resonated and it's great for me but probably waaayyy too quiet for what you are describing. In short I'm not sure it's going to be easy getting a raspless noise as well as loud volume.

Good luck though, I'll be following to see what others say.

I would advise against using videos as a guide for noise too as I thought the HKS sounded amazing on you tube and the TD zorst too quiet.

@likaito love the "maximum laudness" aspect mate, and I'll absolutely take your infos in mind, but if it gets so raspy I would stick to something less loud but more enjoyable (for my taste of course).

@BigBoyBananas the idea of a super resonated one is pretty much what I was thinking to go these days. As I menaged to understand in my yt/forums researches maybe some EL headers will mostly fit my taste and according to what @matrixprotein was saying the hks double resonated frontpipe will be a great option to add for a "less raspy catless". 

But actually the -EL headers/double resonated frontpipe/super resonated catback- combo will yes sound really deep and "true" but way to quiet, maybe even quieter than stock. 

So as a possible final solution swapping the super resonated catback with the mxp comp rs catback MAYBE will take me to the sound that I'm looking for. The EL headers and the double resonated frontpipe will keep the raspyness down, while the less resonated catback will make it a bit more loud.

The other option I was considering was the Greddy evolution gt catback which according to what people say is one of the loudest catback out there. Maybe fitting some big big resonator somwhere in the centrepipe will do the trick.

Or the last option is to dont give a shit about (little) raspiness and get the Greddy with the HKS dual resonated frontpipe.

Meanwhile I'll wait for your opinions, I'm so confused and unsure in all of that, and I dont wanna spend thousands of euro in something that I dont like.

Btw really thanks to both of you guys for the help, really appreciate it!

But actually the -EL headers/double resonated frontpipe/super resonated catback- combo will yes sound really deep and "true" but way to quiet, maybe even quieter than stock. 

I can guarantee that will still sound louder than stock.

According to TD, the stock cat back with catless header is not much louder than full stock. The cat back on the stock system reduces the volume by a lot.

The super resonated cat back is much louder than stock on my car with no rasp, so it may be ideal for you. If you're running without the secondary cat it should be louder than mine still, even if it's 'double resonated'.

As matrixprotein says, if you have the opportunity to hear some in the flesh that is ideal. That mistake cost me a lot of money on the HKS single exit haha.

if you have the opportunity to hear some in the flesh that is ideal.

@BigBoyBananas probably a friend of mine will get the mxp comp rs soon, so at least ima hear one of the possible catbacks. 

Do you mind making a fast video of your exhaust setup please? (yeah I know is not raprresentative at all) Just to have an idea of what we're talking about

Okay I'm kinda making my mind on the Greddy evo gt with hks frontpipe and EL headers. The raspiness shouldn't be so awfull and it should be very very loud ahah

this is from TD's you tube page, with a back to back comparison with the stock exhaust, it's exactly the same as my current setup:

When I first listened to that I thought it was way to quiet and went for the HKS after listening to this:

which I thought sounded great but in person and in reality it's way too annoying for my tastes.

I've been looking at the top one myself but I was also thinking of getting the TD UEL & wondering what difference it would make to the sound

1 hour ago, BigBoyBananas said:

this is from TD's you tube page, with a back to back comparison with the stock exhaust, it's exactly the same as my current setup:

When I first listened to that I thought it was way to quiet and went for the HKS after listening to this:

which I thought sounded great but in person and in reality it's way too annoying for my tastes.

14 hours ago, BigBoyBananas said:

the catback and frontpipe one looks like they're just what I was looking for.. ahah.

if only they had a double exit catback which sounded like this one.. is there? ahahah

btw I'm even more decided to go absolutely for the hks frontpipe.. catback who knows

I'd just be careful if you're looking for minimal rasp. The above video does a good job of not making it sound raspy. I had the quiet version of this cat back and retained a CAT and it was raspy as fuck.

But yes there are quite a few twin exit options from HKS.

The TD super-resonated exhaust system does have a nice deep growl to it.  With the standard resonator I found it too raspy and droney, especially on motorways.

Try to decide whether you will go for a turbo in advance.  If you go with a supercharger (like me), it will be louder so you will want a quieter exhaust.

Agree here - great noise from the super res but it's still a little loud for me once warmed up (decat manifold /stock 2nd cat) so I'll be going something quieter still (q300/h&s). All down to preference in the end

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk