Sign in to follow this  
Whizo

Help me decide pleas.

Hi guys

I have been offered two GT86’s both are identical except for one is a 2012 with 47,000 miles and the other is newer 2014 but with higher mileage at 64,000.

Everything else is the same from warranty, service history, number of owners etc.

Which one would be the better buy? Thanks all.

2014 - There were a number of revisions and improvements. Most 2014 cars dont need the valve spring recall which alone is a big win. But then again the 2012 car may have already had the recall work done. Best to check it out.

Difficult decision both cars are pearl white which is the colour I was after and not another dealer has offered me another GT86 which is a 2012 with 62,000 miles but he only wants £9000! His car is red though, which I don’t mind. Could save myself £2000 on this one and use that money on modifying it.  Need to do some thinking 

Condition is everything. Pick whichever is in the best mechanical condition. As long as the recall has been carried out on the 2012 you'll be fine. For the higher mileage cars make sure the spark plugs have been changed at the 60k service.

Whilst the cars were improved every year, the biggest update before the facelift was probably for the MY16 cars (build dates from mid 2015), which got better suspension. Most of the other changes were fairly minor, IIRC.

Someone is apparently going to let the dealer know tomorrow if they are going ahead with the purchase of the 2014 GT86 so will find out then if it’s still available.

I have also noticed that cars that are red or black seem to be way cheaper. Is that because the pearl white demands a higher price or is this purely coincidental?

Quick update guys, the 2014 car has a full Toyota service history and best of all it’s just had the plugs done at Toyota at 60,000 miles.  So it looks like I’m going ahead with that one.

Quick update guys, the 2014 car has a full Toyota service history and best of all it’s just had the plugs done at Toyota at 60,000 miles.  So it looks like I’m going ahead with that one.

Deal is done, here is a photo of the car.  Due to being self employed I have work commitments until the end of the month but the dealer is willing to store the car for me until then.  So I won’t actually be picking the car up until the end of this month.  Can’t wait for the 120 mile drive home.  Thank you all for your help and advice, really appreciate it.

18 minutes ago, Shippers said:

Looks very nice. Bet you cant wait for the end of the month. 

Thank you mate.  I’m just glad that I no longer have to keep checking what’s available on the market, been searching for a while now and it gets a bit tiresome after a while.  The drive home is going to be awesome, something to look forward to 👍🏽

Great you found what you wanted so quickly. It took me over a year. 😬

Let us know when you picked it up.