matrixprotein

Car lowered, now front is knocking

Nope. Just lay under the car and dremeled the old nut off. Didnt even have to touch the brake setup as this was the first thing I did so everything else was still attached.

I had it on axle stands to do that. When I fitted the new ones I dropped it on its wheels. I got them as tight as factory spec then gave them a couple of days then put it back up in the air and fully tightened them up with extra leverage as I was getting the odd clinking noise.

Looking through some old threads on FT86club and the pics posted, the corsa c threads look longer than the oem ones. If I remember correctly when I removed the OEM bottom link there was a washer on the opposite side to the bolt. I dont think I reinstalled that washer, so thats the first thing I will check tomorrow.

I have just checked the OEM end link and there is indeed a spacer on the end of the thread, Im assuming this is to help the link to sit flush against both the strutt mount and arb. The corsa ones I fitted didnt have this. This may potentially be the issue.

Looking through some old threads on FT86club and the pics posted, the corsa c threads look longer than the oem ones. If I remember correctly when I removed the OEM bottom link there was a washer on the opposite side to the bolt. I dont think I reinstalled that washer, so thats the first thing I will check tomorrow.
I have just checked the OEM end link and there is indeed a spacer on the end of the thread, Im assuming this is to help the link to sit flush against both the strutt mount and arb. The corsa ones I fitted didnt have this. This may potentially be the issue.
This is what I thought. The washer on the oem link isnt present in corsa c ones. I did measure the corsa c ones against oem from a mate who works at toyota.

They were similar in size but what struck me was that I was unable to connect the drop link unless both nuts were removed from the thread and reinstalled after. With one end in, the link indeed was too long.

I asked a friend who lowered his 40mm on springs and said he shortened his drop link to get it to fit so I'm assuming I'll need slightly shorter.

I purchased from whiteline adjustable so waiting for them to come through the post and will see. I mean, I didnt torque anything down but I used an impact gun so I'm sure everything is all tight

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've found a video on the ft86 forums and it sounds like similar to this. The owner changed to adjustable links and the noise stopped so I'm hoping this is the same for my case. will update once changed.

All sorted. No more clunking.

Check all your bolts especially on the hub and make sure you have fitted the correct nut onto the 16mm top bolt. My drivers side bolts had become loose causing a bit of play on the hub/strutt. Also even though the nuts look the same, the one for the 16mm bolt has a slightly wider bottom.

So the knock wasnt coming from the droplinks at all but just to be on the safe side I reinstalled them using the preload method. Jack up the hub under the brake disc to take off the slack and then reinstall the endlinks. Whole thing took about 1 hr so fingers crossed I wont need the extra expense of the adjustable endlinks.

Going to get under the car today. Done abit more research. I'm beginning to think I've messed the strut as I used an impact gun to undo the top nut.

Figures... I used the ft86speed factory video as a guide and they also used an impact gun. Last time I'll be using them. But will take a look and update.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:10 AM, matrixprotein said:

Going to get under the car today. Done abit more research. I'm beginning to think I've messed the strut as I used an impact gun to undo the top nut.

Figures... I used the ft86speed factory video as a guide and they also used an impact gun. Last time I'll be using them. But will take a look and update.

I think I did the same as I changed the shocks in the end and it fixed it.