matrixprotein

Car lowered, now front is knocking

As title says, I've changed to lowering springs and got some corsa c drop links to replace the oem. I'm pretty sure I put everything back the way I took em off. Took the car for a drive and now the front suspension is knocking like crazy. Like insanely. It wasnt like this prior to changing the springs.

Could it be in the links?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The drop links are now too long so they are catching either on the inside of the lower control arm or your anti roll is catching on the inner bottom wheel arch.. To be sure, turn the steering wheel full lock and look to see if you can see any fresh scratch marks or dirt rubbed away.

Normally try and align the anti roll bar and tighten them whilst the car is loaded but 95% of the time you will need smaller drop links to stop the knocking.

It's not the lowering, then. Mine's 30mm dropped. Wheels too large an ET? Otherwise, advice as above but I'm surprised if everything else is stock.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk

To be fair, the links were abit hard to get in. I did manage to do so but was informed that I dont need adjustable links. Here's a picture of the link I used.

The first picture for me to get the link in I had to have both nuts undone. So I essentially get both threads in the hole then fasten the nuts. If one was already fastened i couldnt get the other end in.

With regards to wheels I have 18x8.5 et44 with spacers.f9061176ed894ac0326b209995e41a0b.jpgf4d782278bc1ade01cc3747fb42fa538.jpg

The drop links are now too long so they are catching either on the inside of the lower control arm or your anti roll is catching on the inner bottom wheel arch.. To be sure, turn the steering wheel full lock and look to see if you can see any fresh scratch marks or dirt rubbed away.
Normally try and align the anti roll bar and tighten them whilst the car is loaded but 95% of the time you will need smaller drop links to stop the knocking.
Where exactly am I looking to see if dirt is rubbed away.

Top pic were the bottom of the drop link is. Inside of the lower control arm.

Or top pic again, were the bend of the anti roll bar is, the curve on the inside of the wheel arch (hope that make sense)

Did you reconnect them with the car up on the jacks, or did you put the wheels back on , drop the car then re-attach??

Ah ok so maybe the bit that is closest to the bottom of the link is rubbing?

I done everything with the car on Jack stands. And once put back together, I lowered the car to ground

Easiest way is to get it to a garage and get them to do it for you :).

I used some ramps that raise the car up just enough to get the jack under the front or just enough room to reach in and tighten them up.

I did the jack stands at first and had the same issue. But still really close to the lower arm so I will be changing then to smaller droplinks at some point.

I'm guessing with adjustable I can do it with the car on stands as I wont have to bend the links any funny way. And it will defo go in shorter than oem length. Adjustable are so expensive. RIP off

The knocking noise could also be the top mount bolts not tight enough. Try checking their tight with the bonnet up and bouncing your weight near the top mounts. Usually a quick nip up will silence the rattle.
I’ve not heard of anyone fitting Corsa C drop links instead, are they shorter length? With only a 25mm drop you’d get away with the OEM drop links.

I'm guessing with adjustable I can do it with the car on stands as I wont have to bend the links any funny way. And it will defo go in shorter than oem length. Adjustable are so expensive. RIP off

Mine were £80 from Japspeed.

An added expense, but as I had to cut the original links off I had to have some.

I subsequently learned apparently people fit Corsa D ones.

Cheapest ones specifically for the car I have found are the hardrace ones at £75 but they are on a 3/4 week back order. There are some universal ones around for about £40 but Im dubious as to whether they are any good.

Bit of an update based on previous posts. I've turned the wheels to have a look and there appears to be enough clearance and nothing is touching. Could this just be because I'm doing so when the car is stationary. And it runs and lca when going over bumps and rough surfaces?

I've attached some photos. Any other ideas what it could bee21445ea656da9ff5e9fca40814b2381.jpg855352e8352998edcaea6996e5f25466.jpgcaeb9e6da6055f920a7090bda0b18475.jpg

Doesnt appear to be any marks on the control arm or the drop link or even the top of the roll bar. Someone has suggested mounting a gopro in the wheel arch to try and record the noise and to confirm it is the droplinks. 

One easy way would be to disconnect the drop link from the anti roll bar, secure the end link and arb with cable ties and go for a short drive. If no noise then at least you know the issue is with the end links. Just dont go throwing it into corners :~)

Havent got a go pro but yeah I'm going to do this when I get time next week. I even bought adjustable just in case. It is odd though but will update further. Took the car for abit of a drive today and yeah it's still doing that

Absolutely sure everything is tight?
It could be something else moving.
Pretty sure everything is on right. I'm gonna give it another go during next week and pull it apart and redo

23 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

Pretty sure everything is on right. I'm gonna give it another go during next week and pull it apart and redo

Im redoing mine tomorrow so if i find anything I will let you know. Otherwise I will order some adjustable end links next week.

Mine is lowered "around" 30mm on Flex Z coilovers, I have no knocking or rattling but do every now and again get and kind of rubbery sounding creak at the front. I am expecting noise obviously and have triple checked things and everything seems ok.

When I fitted them I wrote down every torque spec I could fine to have to hand.

The only nuts I couldn't torque as my wrench doesn't go that high is the two 19mm nuts on the front. I just reefed on those with my driver with a couple of foot of tube added.