mrninja13

Touch and Go bluetooth issues

Hello,

I've got a 2015 with the Touch and Go stock unit, but I mostly use Google Maps or Waze over bluetooth, as the stock nav is a bit rubbish.

I am having some audio issues though: Waze cuts off half of the instruction, pausing the second half, while Gmaps instructions are at a very low volume roughly two times out of three.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Should I try updating the Touch and Go software to see if it fixes the issue, or would it be better to just rip the band aid out and change the HU, maybe for a Kenwood or Pioneer with built in nav (but pricey)? 

Gmaps audio volume .. check volume within smartphone.

Waze .. don't know. While i use waze for navigation, i hate when voice instructions interrupt played music in abrupt (and frequent, at each turn) way, so i disable nav voice, and just quickly glance on visual output. (phone mount being in place that doesn't require to take off eyes far from normal driving one to glance on phone screen, helps)

Thanks Church,

the issue with Gmaps is that only some of the instructions are at a low volume, while others are at a normal volume (roughly two thirds are "quiet" and one third normal), so if I adjust the volume the normal level ones will be deafening.

I actually prefer Gmaps to Waze, but at least I have some instructions with it, even if they are just "in half a mile... [silence]".

Both work perfectly with the bluetooth headset I use on my motorbike, so I was wondering if the problem was with the head unit.

...or you can put an Eonon Android head unit in and have the choice of Android Auto or, even better, native Waze. It doesn't cost a fortune either.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk

I wonder if you're falling foul to the volume drop associated with notifications while other audio plays? I think I would lay the blame on some of the phone software and try to find out what app keeps grabbing focus or making silent notifications.

You could start with playing music first and then setting a nav destination. Your headset is a little different because it is not carrying taking contacts a message history and such.

Perhaps you could unpair them, purge the head unit and set up again? You could try limiting access to everything but audio to start with.

My first guess would be to blame smartphone software / it's audio mixing implementation aswell .. except OP mentioned that with other output (BT headset on motorcycle) very same phone, very same software works fine. 😕

Yes my gut feeling would be a Google issue, but it works fine on my other device.

I was wondering if the HU software is a bit out of date and cannot cope with a newish phone, that's why I was thinking about updating it.

But again, maybe I should just give up on the stock HU and change that instead. Those eonon look nice but I haven't heard the best feedback about those Chinese android head units.

I have had this happen in our various Toyota cars. I.e. I had the most recent Android phone at the time in our family and it wouldn't play music via the HU in my Auris but worked fine everywhere else. Wife's phone which was older android and consequently older BT version worked fine. Read up the HU only supported up to a certain BT version so I guess the phone for some reason wasn't dropping down to match HU for compatibility to play music?

What was really frustrating is that it did connect for contacts/phone so I could make and receive calls hence my belief something was going wrong in the negotiations between what the HU could accept and the phone downgrading to match that.

Another case I found different phone and the sat/nav HU in my 15 plate gt86, it connected fine but whilst the song was playing (progress bar and track info updating) no sound each time it moved to the next track. I had to pause and then resume the track each time. Lol