andrewbaru

Has anyone seen this part before... and how to get one?

Hi, 2018 brz owner here, does anyone know how to get a hold of one of these?...

(see attached image)

It's a little grommet that goes into the large lock hole in the boot under the handle trim and also covers the hole at the bottom of the trim where your key would go. My car is keyless so it's all blanked out.

Part number says: C14010071

...But the internet seems to have not heard of it :(

DSC_1763.JPG

Try asking directly in subaru dealership. Though imho something wrong with part number. IIRC most subaru part numbers are mostly numbers with two letters mid part-number.

Thanks church, my next port of call was to try ringing subaru direct, I've also been trying to look through toyota parts to see if I can see what it is called/what the proper part number is.

I'll get back to everyone if I figure it out

So japanparts didn't know what it was and I'm waiting on a reply from subaru uk, but I probably will be waiting a while we'll see.

What I did find though is this hole is definitely on some cars and not on others, for example, looking at this video from carbon car systems: 

You'll see the hole that the mystical part covers right there, at 3:56 but this car (I'm guessing) has a lock barrel mounted...

ClvZIol530LdwX_RX5WsmAWNF26wkf5jGtqEeBDKILhBBOtMV-pPd-hxRsdxQRUXvFL2VSRpuOWTdmukA0SUv_pL6fU78pIQvcIcrrWBS1v2z5Q5wffzFxc3M9tqDx4r7zhvqjfF

and here again on ft86 speed factory with a lock installed:

image.png.3d81c3ebc6ff20efc5b7bd5defd7884f.png

and then on this 2013 brz...

it doesn't have a hole at all!

88iO5XR4yX8vNEG8dm3xeXwGZuUC1-uevfnC6Rrm6DPwYP5rotqBqyqdqbvdU51cSZRaUZE9sGUId_qLkDGgVPdizzdU6_TCYJZNJVWYfsJVNWutP6AAOe0KJ3LTSu_kHH9Rk8T8

But none of these cars has the blanking grommet :(

Success, managed to get a response from a subaru dealer! They were really helpful

The part is a "Cap garnish" part number 91167CA000

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AAMkADc4OGY4NTVlLTUzZWUtNDVhZS1iMTZkLTM4NzgyNzJkMzk2NABGAAAAAADHDzOyhoKgRaOJA9pBo9AFBwBs6PLuVwNTSqg8mYVNuY4TAAAADi5NAACChY2rh5DsR4OdaHZLenwAAASrd1dmAAABEgAQAHJlZaMRJG5ArDn6U3NDIo0%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.office.com&scriptVer=2020060101.15&X-OWA-CANARY=uy6wmViCcUyE2zZzTDJ40zBfPDM5DdgYCRQayRee74AS5Zx9QCNYed33YtG-hM-7MjB2qL4l8KE.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjU2MzU4ODUyMzRCOTI1MkRERTAwNTc2NkQ5RDlGMjc2NTY1RjYzRTIiLCJ4NXQiOiJWaldJVWpTNUpTM2VBRmRtMmRueWRsWmZZLUkiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.uKQdwmZFbdNYImu5UOqsKczKSGn9wOhvCcpBB6yF7_jgJgS14isdWiWmVTpaSdorv2bcdvRUPy8YkzsOpaMBUnEjRfOEt7guFgp9TMFcP0WneEm8RoR3nbLT9W1-PSH9SV-C1megQZmrnSE1twO8vl5xAyojcxvqvn9mBMX0pUB8occv31haKiYvDUiXhdQj8rv9iFk9PSvzlPLS0LXZlZV50Tvt8CEzNdt79oNgLrbBdETC2SFtIuyzn47E6oGMVh5VCD0OO4I-QSaGfPtUa2teEsPhBEWfIl5wY4ArKUZWUgNWHxtNqHMpFHAPT3t593E1WtOR9x-n1j4g7jdD9A&animation=true

However, my next problem is "getting" one, as apparently the dealer had no availability and no price 😕 It does look like it could be a sub part of a larger part number, which means buying the whole garnish to get it, which I really would rather not do 

Just google for part number. Usually several online parts shops should be found. If not, another option might be some breakeryard and get used part for cheap from some totalled twin.

Another update, so I think breakers yards are out unless I happen to find a 2016on 86/brz with EK/ER spec... cos they seem to want to just sell the whole boot lid (£180-300) or the whole garnish (£50-70)....

Next lines of attack, I'm waiting on come back from Subaru UK HQ and from a local Toyota dealer to see if I can get Toyota's equivalent SUxxxxxxxx part number, however, a bit of progress. I discovered one easily available and very cheap part is on the boot locking mechanism itself (which my car doesn't have), this:

57449CA040 ("Packing. Key Lock Trunk. PAC")

57449CA040 Product Image

Shown as part 57460 here:

Full Size Assembly Image

Which seems to be a metal gasket for mounting the lock to the boot, my thought was to make some kind of rubber/perspex shape that the gasket would cradle inside the boot, drill two holes to push the garnish mounting screws through and use the existing washers to clamp it all inside the boot lid (you'd never see it!). Next drill a tiny hole it in to feed a reverse camera wire through and shove a grommet in the hole. Bob's your uncle.

It occurs to me that this idea could have wide reaching impact on people who want to a) fit an aftermarket reverse camera, b) don't want to drill their car in "any" way, and c) is fine with de-locking their boot, if they have a keyed boot (which looks pretty simple)... alternatively, Subaru could just sell me (what is probably) a £5 part! * sigh *

Edit: Just noticed amayama lists this as a "RUBBER SEAL" (https://www.amayama.com/en/part/subaru/57449ca040), hmmm, I guess it's could be used as a good template, but I was kind of hoping it was a rigid/metal part. Bottom line, it's looking like I'm going to making this part somehow 😕

Another update, ok, carbon car systems got back to me and they seem to think this would be a common part on the lower spec 86's (where they don't have a boot lock)... also I realised the car in their video "does" have a lock, it's shown in the still above at the point I have it paused, you can see it dangling down below and to the right of the youtube "play" button... you can also see the rubber part in the post above on that lock.

However.... more importantly, SUCCESS!!! I actually have two of the part on order from japan, I got a response from Subaru UK HQ, it looks like the problem was Subaru UK has to "put on the system" or "allow" the part to be seen and ordered by dealers, but, bottom line, this part is very available in japan and is £7. I'm fairly certain this part is still being used on the factory floor for new cars.