Lauren

Directors wanted!

Dear all, 

As many will know, Rob, Keith, Alec and I setup this club back in April 2013. Many years have passed and we now find ourself in the situaiton where we would like to put out to find replacement directors. 

Alec has been lost to Elite Extreme, Rob sold his car years ago and Keith is finding himself far less involved with the club than he used to. I as many know have a new car on order, a GR Yaris, but I am happy to stay on as I have so many friends I've made through the club and am still around for day to day running of the club. I also want to ensure continuity. 

What does being a director involve? 

We are directors of a not for profit limited company. This means that as a director you have limited liability in the unlikely event that some disgruntled person decides to sue the club, it means they cannot sue you directly. Important for your own protection, unfortunately. 

I want to see new directors, for which there are three available position, take the club forward. We have a new GT86 to look forward to next year and it's fair to say that the club has grown very well and we are well established in the show and motorsport scene. 

It will mean that a director (though you can delegate to committee members) will need to take care of the club accounts and paypal accounts and we will also need someone to cover the club clothing side and the like. Further work is needed with affiliates to ensure they pay their dues as we rely on trader fees and membership to pay for the running of the club. 

I welcome any questions and I would say it's very rewarding sometimes. I am also very proud of what we have achieved in the last seven years and I'd love to see it continue. :)

I'm intrigued by this opportunity but I'm wondering about the time implications. As a fairly busy person what sort of time commitment is required? I presume it varies and there are peaks when it needs more but overall is it possible to estimate how much time a month / week it would require?

I also assume that guidance would be provided as, speaking for myself, I've not done anything like this before so I'm not sure exactly what I would be volunteering to do.

@GravelRash it does require a bit of time. Not necessarily loads, but when it needs input, you have to do it. At the moment it's fairly quiet as not much is happening. But normally there's stuff around events to coordinate and certainly the big shows take a bit more input. It's loads easier nowadays as everything is done online with ticket purchasing for the most part. It's more the events where you have to post out tickets that are time intensive. Thankfully that is pretty much a thing of the past! 

What I do: 

Sort out PM's I get from members, most are advice queries, I expect that's fairly specific to me. 

Deal with traders. 

Deal with issues with members' behaviour. This can be a massive pain if people go on and you are struggling to find a resolution. It's not so bad on the forum, but seems to be more of an issue on the Facebook page. 

Deal with complaints. Kill me now, I hate this and again seems to be more of a thing with the Facebook page than the forum. I'll still do that though as erm love it so much. 😫

We really need someone to take on the merchandise side of things. It is fairly well automated these days too. 

I think also when it comes to the accounts, taking care of the Paypal account is another thing. 

I think as a director I've played to my strengths and avoided some of the things I don't enjoy or I'm not good at. Keith and Rob had dealt with the money side of things. Rob also did the events wholly, though I've taken over the big ones and we do have some excellent event organisers in place that do the shows and trackdays.  I've always been more visible and out there, dealing with the social aspects, social media and relations and all that. Well, I am a social worker! 🤣

But really it's a matter of applying your skills and for us to get the best out of you. There is also the option of expanding the committee to do more of the daily running of the club. This hasn't really worked though, so I'm minded to just keep that going with the directors. Keith is still busy sorting out payments and the like that need doing and running Paypal. Rob is still doing merchandise and banking stuff which is not ideal as whilst he's always been fab at popping up when he needs to, I'm sure you can understand he's got a lot going on at the moment and sold his car years ago. Alec is a director in name only and has no involvement at all anymore. 

So really we need new blood, passion and enthusiasm to move the club forward. Also someone that attends events and is visible and approachable to club members, whilst keeping the members best intrests is key. And don't worry I'm a director of two clubs and have done such things since 2004, so have plenty of experience to pass on. :)

You haven't scared me away. Well, Facebook maybe ;)

As the lockdown has eased, would you fancy a socially responsible gathering. I believe in England it's 6 people in a park. It would be like a mini-meet from CruiseBoard all over again; we could even find an empty McD carpark!

20 hours ago, GravelRash said:

You haven't scared me away. Well, Facebook maybe ;)

As the lockdown has eased, would you fancy a socially responsible gathering. I believe in England it's 6 people in a park. It would be like a mini-meet from CruiseBoard all over again; we could even find an empty McD carpark!

Great stuff, Mark. I don't blame you for staying away from the FB stuff, it can be a pain with the keyboard warriors! Yes absolutely a socially distanced mini-meet up has to be on the cards. Watch this space, I think we need to see how the next few weeks go, very happy to meet up to discuss further. When things get properly back on track and it's safe for Rob to come out, a proper meet up with Keith as well would be good. :)