Jayou

Help Trying to get pop and bangs

Hi i need help im trying to get my 86 to pop and bang with the remap but it dosent seem to be working wants to pop but its quiet ideas? My set up is So the manifold no longer has a CAT - this is the primary larger one and the secondary one has been replaced with a cobra decat front pipe of the exhaust ?

do i need to change anythink eles to get the pop and bangs 

thanks 

Pops &  bangs come from ecu tune. By keeping injecting fuel and adjusting ignition and exhaust valve timings with such "feature" in ecu tune unburnt fuel gets thrown out in exhaust where it further burns/detonates producing those bangs.

It's not as if cat deletion is how to get those,  just that with such tune cats won't live long but can soon/easily be damaged, thus better not done on car with still catalisators in it.

My own view would be to not bother with such things. To me unless those bangs are from real function such as turbo misfiring system/blow off valve or alikes, hearing such bangs from NA engine seems a bit too much of posing (alongside would be hated  by all neighbors & becoming cop magnet). One thing is just reasonably louder exhaust, another something that rather hurts performance or damages parts. Imho not worth it. Like fitting uber-oversized rear wing on car that is only daiily driven, with mostly biggest impact being hurt fuel economy due increased drag.

39 minutes ago, Church said:

Pops &  bangs come from ecu tune. By keeping injecting fuel and adjusting ignition and exhaust valve timings with such "feature" in ecu tune unburnt fuel gets thrown out in exhaust where it further burns/detonates producing those bangs.

It's not as if cat deletion is how to get those,  just that with such tune cats won't live long but can soon/easily be damaged, thus better not done on car with still catalisators in it.

My own view would be to not bother with such things. To me unless those bangs are from real function such as turbo misfiring system/blow off valve or alikes, hearing such bangs from NA engine seems a bit too much of posing (alongside would be hated  by all neighbors & becoming cop magnet). One thing is just reasonably louder exhaust, another something that rather hurts performance or damages parts. Imho not worth it. Like fitting uber-oversized rear wing on car that is only daiily driven, with mostly biggest impact being hurt fuel economy due increased drag.

Ive had the ecu tune but still no sound

19 minutes ago, Jayou said:

Ive had the ecu tune but still no sound

Have you had the tuner specifically install a pops and bangs map though?

Tuners don't do that as default as it's basically badly mapped to get that to happen.

You specifically have to ask for it (why you'd want to though is another issue....)

1 minute ago, Deacon said:

Have you had the tuner specifically install a pops and bangs map though?

Tuners don't do that as default as it's basically badly mapped to get that to happen.

You specifically have to ask for it (why you'd want to though is another issue....)

Yeye i asked for a pop and bang tune 

The car had the 4 maps from tuning devlopment on it when i got it so i wanted to change one of the maps to the pop and bang but the tuner put his tune on it and it wants to pop but it aint 

just wat a bit of fun and noise 

There might be specific way how to engage it, i guess, just like non-standard features like eg. flat foot shifting and so on. Maybe specific clutch/throttle application. Too lazy to search, as not much interested in it.

Then again, maybe TD somehow missed enabling it in tune. If you bought said tune and asked for it to be there, you are better off contacting them describing your issue, not forum, imho.

Im the opposite. I wish I could tune out the pops and bangs I get on track days when its really hot (without affecting performance) lol

On most tunes you have to feather the throttle when you lift off as otherwise the ECU cuts fuel, so you won't get any noise.

@leeky you should be able to do that quite easily, usually a sign of too much fuel

Yep, usually on hot summer days on track once the exhaust is hot enough its constantly popping on overrun and through flat upshifts. Its not the end of the world. As long as its not doing any harm I can live with it.

Except if it's old twin with never updated old stock ecu tune. In B01C,d/A01G,l in may 2013 there were ignition transient related updates to fix not working that in earlier tunes, which could result in damaging direct injector seals due excessive detonation for those that track and change gears at high rpms. It's possible that several 2012-2013-2014 cars were flashed with earlier tunes in factory (700C,D,G,l/A00C,D,G,l), and some dealerships never update ecu tunes to never revisions. Was the case with mine, first registered in spring 2014, and still carrying A00 tune after all regular servicing visits to dealership for few 5 years.

Mine is is late 2014 car running Cosworth Stage 1.2 Map. Now I come to think about it... when it was stock it never popped so must be a characteristic of the map or the Cosworth exhaust system.