choupolo

New member - planning mods and trying TSS

My are Gramlight, but then I compensate extra weight with a bit extra power from TD Turbo

Nov 9th with Circuitdays is fully booked I think, but you can get on wait list and they probably will have few last minute spaces.

I am also doing Thruxton on Sep 22nd

And hopefully we will have a nice group of GT86s for Bedford GT on Nov 21st
https://facebook.com/events/s/trackday-bedford-gt-msvt/650535892388900/?ti=cl838e72494cb4e371491b6b7fa0e905c7.jpgad7e1b282156dfba81cbb33ca31e997c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, VAD17 said:

My are Gramlight, but then I compensate extra weight with a bit extra power from TD Turboemoji6.png

Get Mike to turn it up to 11, I have a SC now 😂 (I feel a bit like John McClane - "Now I have forced induction, ho ho ho"...)

Didn't realise you had Thruxton booked, I'm doing the one in October.  Looks like that September date is sold out now.

Probably looking at 5th Dec Silverstone National or 12th Dec Donington National.
Silverstone National is not that great, GP is much more fun. Donny is good in either National or GP confirmation (although I have done each only once and both days were wet and slippery)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, choupolo said:

Probably looking at 5th Dec Silverstone National or 12th Dec Donington National.

I would second what @VAD17 said. Silverstone National is 5 corners and a mile long. I've raced on it which is very entertaining, but as a track day, it's pretty boring. Hard to find a duller circuit with the exception of Llandow.  I would look elsewhere. Donny either configuration. Cadwell is epic too. Mallory Park if you want a short circuit that is far more interesting than Silverstone National. 

Of the two definitely go Donington National. 

1 hour ago, choupolo said:

Donington it is. I’ve never been to Silverstone so may try the GP circuit one day, I know Donington in a Ginetta and an MX5 and loved it. Craners may be a little slippy in December though!

I seem to recall following @Lauren down there at near 100mph on a January day!

There's a couple of us signed up for Donington National on Nov 1st.

And finally, BBK is on! Few quirks putting it together.

Firstly, they had supplied the wrong size nuts to go on the calliper mount bolts! Simple enough to get some bigger ones. I also didn’t have the hex bit sockets to torque them as I hadn’t realised the bolts aren’t the same as the stock ones.

The left side went on perfectly without any adjustments, no rubbing between the disc and the calliper or pads. But the right side for some reason I had to take on and off several times adding/removing the little shim washers that were supplied to get the right fit. In the end there was still a tiny bit of resistance from the pads when rotating the disc. As if the hub is not rotating evenly somehow. Anyhow, I don’t think this will be an issue once I’ve driven it a bit and the pads wear accordingly. In fact the very slight rubbing noise when driving initially has now gone completely after bedding them in.

Bled the fluid which was problem free. The pedal feels a little squishy with a lot of travel. I had expected it to be firmer. I’m fairly certain I didn’t get any air into the system.

However, when they do bite my god! Whilst bedding them in on a nearby quiet stretch of carriageway, I felt a bit dizzy at full force! The extra grip from the PS4s also evident.

Overall very happy with them. Btw, does anyone else notice a mild humming noise when braking with the AP/Reyland kit?

A0CE8C12-F624-46F3-A4DB-2D2B7B8DFF94.jpeg.d64f32160460d4a3aee82948e36e64cf.jpeg

The last thing is that I’m now left with a clunking noise while driving at slow speeds over uneven surfaces. Started after the new suspension went on. Doesn’t always relate to bumps so I’m thinking it’ll be the new drop links rather than the struts or top mounts. They feel tight but I’ve tightened them only with the impact wrench and molegrips. The spanner I have doesn’t fit into the gap around the nut at the top as the edges of the closed end of the spanner are too thick. And I need a slimmer ratchet to get in at the bottom end to hold the hex part of the bolt. I’ll report back if I manage to cure this by tightening the links properly.

I want to get it all feeling tight before venturing on track!

I found there was a fair bit of faff involved to get the correct amount of shims with the Reyland AP kit. If I remember correctly I grinded the casting a little on the carrier aswell, but I'm not sure that was totally necessary. I haven't noticed a humming noise.

1 hour ago, choupolo said:

Bled the fluid which was problem free. The pedal feels a little squishy with a lot of travel. I had expected it to be firmer. I’m fairly certain I didn’t get any air into the system.

Overall very happy with them. Btw, does anyone else notice a mild humming noise when braking with the AP/Reyland kit?

Pedal definitely shouldn't feel squishy. Did you bleed the master cyclinder as well?

I don't recieve any humming. 

11 minutes ago, choupolo said:

Ah I’m glad it wasn’t just me regarding the shims!

The humming is subtle and I’m not worried about it. The clunk is more bothersome, I want to get rid of that asap.

Clunk could be suspension preload or perhaps clearance issues with drop links.

@will300 No, I only bled fluid from each calliper. My wife sat in the car and gently pressed the pedal and I kept topping up the reservoir. It’s no more squishy than before the brake change. Perhaps I need to flush the system with a lot more fresh fluid? I only used half a bottle.

I’ll get the humming checked out professionally since no one else seems to be experiencing it.

@maurice I tried tightening up the preload and it didn’t really make any difference to the noise, which is why I’ve assumed it was the drop links. Especially cos it’s exactly the same pattern of noise as when I had left the original rusted links loose one time before I chopped them off. Just sounds like a rattle or play when the car is cruising over slight undulations. Larger bumps or large steering angles however don’t produce any noise. I’m actually quite happy with the clearance of the suspension, brakes and wheels now it’s all together. Particularly the BBK, there’s masses of room.

11 hours ago, choupolo said:

@will300 No, I only bled fluid from each calliper. My wife sat in the car and gently pressed the pedal and I kept topping up the reservoir. It’s no more squishy than before the brake change. Perhaps I need to flush the system with a lot more fresh fluid? I only used half a bottle.

See: https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/resources/jsp/siviewer/Toyota_86_2017_rm_index.html > Brake > Brake System (Other) > Brake Fluid > Bleeding. 

Rogue Motorsport always bleed the master cylinder on my car when the fluid is changed, and it's the second step in that tech manual (before bleeding the calipers). 

To chip is with what Will has posted I had my fluid changed somewhere who didn't bleed the master cylinder and had the spongy pedal. Then Rogue Motorsport did it for me and bled the master cylinder and the problem went away.

That’s a great resource, thank you. I’ll give this a go next time. 

Edit: Just to confirm it was the drop link, specifically the lower bolt on the left. The others were tight. Tightened up the bolt with an allen key and a spanner that actually fit, got rid of the play. No more clunk!

Also the hum from the brakes has faded, they’re pretty quiet now. Must have just been as the pads have evened out over the disc. Even the pedal has firmed up a little.

The car is pretty perfect now! I’ll post some pretty pictures of the car soon.

Just booked in with TD for the NA tune package and MTEC shift spring/bush with the Black Friday deal.

This was the final piece of the puzzle I was after, and can’t wait to have it all done!

The car has been great so far, eagerly awaiting the next trackday which keeps getting pushed back due to lockdown. On the road the extra grip and stability is stark, but it won’t be until the trackday that I’ll be able explore its limits. 

The only drawback has been having to be extra cautious with speedbumps!

I’ve asked for the EL. I’ve also held off a catback for now as I’m not really after a sound change.

Have you had these done? Im curious as to how the gear shift will feel. People often say it’s more ‘positive’ but never understood what that meant!

51 minutes ago, choupolo said:

I’ve asked for the EL. I’ve also held off a catback for now as I’m not really after a sound change.

Have you had these done? Im curious as to how the gear shift will feel. People often say it’s more ‘positive’ but never understood what that meant!

Yes, I went EL with the springs as well. With the springs in, the gear stick goes back to centre (neutral) with a bit more force. Less 'slack' i guess I would call it. As others have said, it is hard to describe but going into gear has a more positive feel is best way to explain it. Let us know what you think when they are in. 

I haven't come across this thread until now, great build. Hopefully we will cross paths on a track day soon.

Did you resolve the knocking on the suspension? My hunch would be drop links if its still on going. I replaced mine when I fitted by flex A with some adjustable ones (can dig out a link  if needed) Better quality and cheaper then the OEM ones and you can get the correct alignment of the roll bar with the reduced ride height so win win. I didn't even attempt to reuse the old ones as they were so shoddy.

Reyland BBK is next on my shopping list along with some lighter wheels so good to see another happy user. What pads are you using in it?

I would have thought the humming could be the pattern on the disks. I had used similar disks before and had the same noise until the disks were bedding in.

Thanks Gavin. Hopefully doing a lot more trackdays next year and maybe some sprints too.

Yeah the knocking was sorted with adjustable drop links but moreso being able to tighten them properly with a spanner that would actually fit, the one I had, the head was too big! My torque wrench was not enough.

The Reyland BBK came with Ferrodo DS2500 pads. Couldn’t fault them on the trackday even after long stints.

As you say, the humming went away after a while after bedding in. It came back for a period of time after the trackday and then went away after a few days. I think maybe just the grooves, and I’m not used to how they should behave/sound.

On the whole the mods have really improved the experience on track. A little bit more squirrely in the wet since it’s stiffer, but made it more fun! Still accessible and gave plenty of warning before slipping.