Portalfl0w

Thoughts on Pirelli PZERO Nero Tyres?

Hi Guys, 

I will be looking to get a new set of tyres soon and from what i've seen people usually recommend something like the Michelin PS4 tyres etc. 

I haven't found any threads anywhere talking about the PZEROs even though on paper they seem like a good choice. Has anyone got any experience with them? I wonder how they stack up against the PS4 for example. I'm mainly looking for good grip in both dry and wet. 

I'm looking to get it done at my local tyre place so i've got a choice of basically Michelin PS4, Pirelli PZERO, Yoko E70J RHD or a bunch of different bridgestone tyres. (I just somewhat prefer pirelli as a brand compared to Michelin 😁)

Hey,
I was also in a dilemma as to new tread.
Finally went for Maxxis Victra Sport 5.
Got them online from Tirendo for £54 each and simply took them to my local garage to get them fitted. Went for the 225/45/17.
Excellent grip in both dry & wet and reviews have put them up with the PS4’s.... and half the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For some reason a lot of car clubs just don't bother with Pirelli. Over a decade ago, the Pzero was capable but quite hard. Same for Bridgestone,  whose RE040 was very snappy in the wet. Being a premium brand, I reckon there's always a cheaper option that performs as well or similar. It's not like the sellers give parameters to help you decide.

My experiences with Bridgestone have always been poor, especially in the wet.

Falken Azenis FK-512 are good, predictable tyres for not a lot of money. Michelin PS4 seem to be the best on our chassis. If I could find the Maxxis anywhere fitted, I'd give them a try.

22 minutes ago, nerdstrike said:

Will they last? How quickly do they overheat?

For the price it's either got to be a loss leader or made of very sticky cheese

They took a full day on Bedford (approx 175 track miles) and behaved as the PS4's did. The wear was very limited so no reason to believe they won't last reasonably well. 

IMG_20200221_211622.jpg.0e2e7fa2d803db36f7f5cc66cae04cf1.jpg

7 minutes ago, Church said:

What was grip vs PS4? How stiff are firewalls? By chance have you also tried them in wet?

Grip Vs PS4's was equivalent, sidewall stiffness was not noticeable - so suggesting also very similar. Wet, only on road - again no complaints. They seem VERY similar to the PS4's to me.

I liked PS4 on track .. except it was not that hard to overheat them, increasing wear, reducing grip. If these are similar, but cheaper, they seem to at least compensate increased track abuse wear with cost. Still feeling bad that PS4S/GYEF1SS/CS6 are not offered in 17" in Europe :(.

Anyway, adding these Maxxis to consideration list for next set (alongside well spoken of in US forum track crowd GT Radial champiro sx2).  Currently have Vreds Ulrac Vorti, but liking them way less then PS4 i had before.

BTW, question on stiffness was more regarding handling feel, not comfort. As in liked sharp turn-in of PS4, and dislike higher slip-angle, subjectively less sharp turn-in of ultracs for example, that seemed both relatively a bit lazyer to follow steering input and a bit more turned wheel. Not bad, still UHP summer tire .. but i liked feel on PS4 & wishing similar in other tires :)

Currently running Hankook v12 evo 2. No complaints so far in wet or dry and they are a massive improvement from the Yoko's i had on previously.

Check out www.tyreleader.co.uk as they run offers pretty much every day. Just look under the discount tab at the bottom of the website.

I managed to get a set of 4 for £229 delivered so works out at about £57 a tyre.

I’m keen to try the Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) myself - they’re often compared to the PS4 on Porsche forums but come off unfavourably in that Pirellis take longer to get up temperature on the road. However that’s a good thing to me as it suggests the P Zeros will have more resistant to heat fade than the PS4, and the general consensus (based in what I’ve read) is that the Pirellis have the edge on the Michelins in both grip and feel when properly up to temp - which is not generally an issue in a track environment.

The Pirelli doesn't seem to come in stock sizes - I can only see 205 or 225 width in 17 inch. I can't comment on anything as yet, as my 2 month old Goodyear Assy. 5s have 0 miles on them, but in reviews come out well against the Michelins and the Conti PC6. Price wise I managed to get them for the same money as the Falkens, which were my "cheaper" option.

On 5/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, JohnM said:

Currently running Hankook v12 evo 2. No complaints so far in wet or dry and they are a massive improvement from the Yoko's i had on previously.

Check out www.tyreleader.co.uk as they run offers pretty much every day. Just look under the discount tab at the bottom of the website.

I managed to get a set of 4 for £229 delivered so works out at about £57 a tyre.

Didn't know that site existed! Thanks for that, that looks like really good prices. 

Thanks for the comments guys, i'm getting a feeling that the PS4 or equivalent tyres will be the better 'road' tyre compared to pirelli. I don't really do any track driving at the moment, although would like to in the future. I'll shop around a bit more, not like i'm going to get to drive anywhere far anytime soon!

1 hour ago, knightryder said:

The Pirelli doesn't seem to come in stock sizes - I can only see 205 or 225 width in 17 inch.

I haven’t checked properly yet but good point if that’s the case!

I’ve had 225/45/17s on my car for so long I often forget they’re not the OEM size 😂

This video released recently compares the 3 main competitors, sorry no pirelli.

I trust this guy. Contis come on top for performanxe followed by Goodyear and Mich last. Mich best for road. I have Goodyear Asy5 and they are fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

On 5/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, JohnM said:

Thanks for the tyreleader recommend, I hadn't heard of them.  Just had four Maxxis Victra Sport 5  225/45/R17 91V delivered for £184 all in - great price and looking forward to seeing how they perform at Bedford on 28 August.  Maxxis tyres were also a suggestion in this thread so thanks also to SimonG68 and Deacon, others? for that.