Sign in to follow this  
Edbrez

NEW TO THE FORUM - JDM 86 FRESH IMPORT INTO IRL.

Hi everyone,

I registered on here when I ordered the car from Japan. Thankfully she arrived in one piece! Big parts list so far but looking for inspiration from you folks on here and advice on how to get the best out of these beauties.

Currently, HKS GT spec header and Spec L exhaust back. Cusco - coilovers, engine room tensioners, front strut, brake master cylinder brace, sway bars front and rear and power bracing front (V2) and rear. Low temp thermostat, TRD series 1 body kit, arch extensions, front grooved discs and TRD pads all round, Bride seat, Momo steering wheel. A few other smaller bits that don't really matter in grand scheme of things.

I'm wondering does anyone know a good FA20 tuner who works with HKS flash editors? Looking to map the car for Irish fuel and trying to find the cheapest solution. I'm not ready to embark on Ecutek expense right now. Any advice greatly appreciated.20200503_160706.jpg.ae856dbceb134ec567815096ef4e63b3.jpg20200503_160846.jpg.6e60b58f5f877e40fbada9af5c65a5b5.jpg20200503_160823.jpg.59e30fe734aa3575c51f0fea08336134.jpg20200503_160933.jpg.64fc2a46677f034aa5c0d6fa104cacbd.jpgIMG-20200109-WA0004.jpg.50141bbe0cc18f14a7f54bb118cba97c.jpgIMG-20200109-WA0024.jpg.4ce7069d7c4cafb39491576fd6d46c7e.jpg

Nice. Guessing GT Limited spec, judging by what I can see of the interior, i.e., manual aircon, no digital speedo, cheaper plastics, no leather tops on the doors? 

No idea on the HKS tuning, you could try Fensport, they should be able to point you in the right direction. 

14 hours ago, Lauren said:

Nice. Guessing GT Limited spec, judging by what I can see of the interior, i.e., manual aircon, no digital speedo, cheaper plastics, no leather tops on the doors? 

No idea on the HKS tuning, you could try Fensport, they should be able to point you in the right direction. 

G Spec JDM. The interior doesn't really matter to me, it's the handling and exterior that is most important. I've sent Fensport a query, likely I'll go ECUTEK if the price isn't ridiculous. Eventually will be installing HKS V3 supercharger so probably best going that way. I see Lauren that you are a serious racer. Do you mind me asking you your opinion getting the most from the platform. What do you think is the ideal balance of power and handling for the chassis?

Lovely car, I myself got rid of UK gt86 (enjoyed it very much), and got myself JDM brz. Two different cars in my opinion. In few weeks I'm going to do the full exhaust and your setup is exactly what I am after. Hence my question: is it easy to live with it every day? Or is it too noisy? Could you please describe your experience with it? Do you still have catalytic converter?

Best regards, Greg.

11 hours ago, Edbrez said:

G Spec JDM. The interior doesn't really matter to me, it's the handling and exterior that is most important. I've sent Fensport a query, likely I'll go ECUTEK if the price isn't ridiculous. Eventually will be installing HKS V3 supercharger so probably best going that way. I see Lauren that you are a serious racer. Do you mind me asking you your opinion getting the most from the platform. What do you think is the ideal balance of power and handling for the chassis?

Ecutek licence is £150 IIRC. Fensport can do remote maps. A remap and manifold is good I think, and you already have that. So for you it's just a matter of getting it mapped. You already have coilovers, though I'd be tempted to lose the bigger anti-roll bars as they can limit traction and stock is absolutely fine even for the track. It's more about optimising the geo really, with 2.5deg neg on the front and around 2 on the rear. A very small amount of rear toe in and parallel front toe. 

I've never bothered with any extra bracing, as I don't think the car needs it and a lot of it is untested bling really. I like how my car handles, if it ain't broke...

I run 17x8 TE37s with stock tyre sizes. I tried 225/45s but didn't like the increased sidewall flex and didn't think there was much difference in grip levels. A point proven when my main rival in the sprint series was running 225s and I was on 215's. Still beat him. ;)

I also run billet aluminium SPL rear lower arms to get the camber adjustment and I've polybushed my car throughout. I did this mostly though because the mileage is very high and reckon there must have been some play in the stock bushes. My car puts out 213bhp and 178lb/ft with the TD manifold and remap. I think that's a good power/handling balance. 

I've driven the HKS demonstrator of the V1 years ago. I really liked it's delivery and how it really punches at high rpm. Good choice providing they have sorted the reliability issues out with the supercharger.