dom2497

Improving oil pressure

Just seen a post on Facebook regarding a mod to help with oil pressure.

See

https://m.facebook.com/GPPerformanceEurope/photos/pcb.3003339963095766/3003318503097912/?type=3&source=49

Basically looks like they are tapping into the out feed from the oil cooler sandwich plate, then running a line from there into a separate oil filter then straight into the main oil gallery. They report it increases the pressure by a bar!

Just thought I would share the love for fellow FI owners and also be interested in people's opinions on this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks like almost complete OE partout of prerestyle twin that probably will become dedicated sport build, be it rally or track, don't think that for drift, as in later case probably there would be also engine/transmission swap, not just interior/suspension/brakes/steering rack/seats/lights.

I’m not entirely surprised by the results to be honest. The pressure drop across an oil cooler is 10-15psi temp dependant and it looks like that have just bypassed the oil cooler and gone into the mains using a very large oil filter.

It’s an interesting solution and something I might look at myself but I do wonder what impact it has on oil temperatures on track.

It would be an interesting experiment, if it has a detrimental impact on oil temps that would suggest significant flow is required at the mains gallery and would concern me even more.

I’m not entirely surprised by the results to be honest. The pressure drop across an oil cooler is 10-15psi temp dependant and it looks like that have just bypassed the oil cooler and gone into the mains using a very large oil filter.

It’s an interesting solution and something I might look at myself but I do wonder what impact it has on oil temperatures on track.

It would be an interesting experiment, if it has a detrimental impact on oil temps that would suggest significant flow is required at the mains gallery and would concern me even more.
I have seen another version of this mod which uses a vtec conversion kit (hondas have the same oil filter thread is seems) then filtered and cooled oil is dropped straight into the mains. I guess this gives two advantages, cooler oil getting to the mains and also a oil pressure/flow bump in theory. See attached pic.

I am trying to understand the flow of oil in that area.

As I understand it it. When looking at the front of the engine, the oil goes from the front cover into the block then to the right where it feeds the tensioner. From there I assume it goes towards the rear of the engine to feed the mains?

My only concern with a mod like this, is affecting flow by causing turbulence. It all depends how the gallery are routed which affects things when you add a second feed like this. Anyone a fluid mechanic?!06457a6c10bd5207f51feb1f02fc7416.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk