Luke86

New Member - Exhaust Opinions/Starting Mods

Afternoon all,

Hope you're all doing well. I'm Luke, I bought my 2017 86 back in August 2019 and I've been absolutely loving it. 

I've recently been looking at Milltek's Second Cat Back system and pondering whether to go with Res/Non-Res. As much as the non-resonated system would be awesome, I think it may just be a bit too loud for the sake of my neighbours at 06:00hrs when I leave for work. Although, as I've not had chance to actually listen to the resonated system in person, I'm not sure on how much of an advance off the stock exhaust it is. Is there much of a noticeable difference? Does anyone have any advice or experience on the above?

I've only been driving a couple of years so I've got limited experience into the world of car mods, so if you have any ideas of starting points for performance modifications for someone new to the game, that would be much appreciated. FYI it's my daily driver (raking in 18k miles a year) so nothing too hefty thanks! Stay safe!

Luke

I had an Invidia non res on mine and it was totally fine. Sort of depends what your taste is. Non res is not loud enough to annoy neighbours in my opinion. If you then add a header and decat then possibly, but you can have the cold start mapped out I believe so even then, no big deal.

Avoid the Milltek they crack. Non-res is not that loud if you still have both cats. Even with the second cat removed it isn't that loud, though will be on cold idle on initial start up. Have a look at the TD systems, they do three options. A regular resonated system is a safe bet with your setup. You may not feel it's loud enough though. It will be fine if you for a manifold primary decat in the future. 

Contrary to what @MartinT said a non-res when you still have cats will not drone on the motorway. Even with the second removed it's fine. Cruising is never a problem really, you will hear it when you open the throttle, but that's kind of the point. ;) 

I went through four Milltek exhausts before I got sick of the cracking and went for a TD resonated when I put a TD manifold on. I had no cats at this point. It was a little too loud, so I put some resonators (2x extra silencers) where the second cat would be. It's slightly too quiet, but I've got used to it now and am happy enough with it. No more cracks! :)

I can only say that in my car, with the 2nd cat in place, the noise from the standard resonated system was loud and drony.  I switched to a super-resonated and it improved a lot.  Then I added the supercharger and it went up a bit.  It's just this side of acceptable for me, fine on the motorway and a little loud going through the village.

From my perspective, I simply could not live with a non-resonated system.  I accept that others prefer more noise.