Neil-h

Covid lockdown battery issues

My COVID battery troubles brought me here as a newbie! 

I've had three Gt86's over the years and noticed a pattern, my previous model had the same issue.

If the battery drains below a certain point, it would seem it would never recover, and it's very odd in it's behaviour too; it seems very random when it would decide to charge itself.  Sometimes a short drive would do it, but then I tried longer drives and it then wouldn't start at all.

The nail in the coffin for me was to use a wall socket charger overnight, which totally killed it, whereas before there was some initial chance it mighty kick back into life again and at least give me one or two starts, now it's struggling more than ever to start even with my battery booster jumped in.

I phoned the Toyota garage yesterday and the guy on the other end said it appears to be a fairly common problem on this car and to call again on Monday when the service guys were around.

I'm actually shocked it was behaving itself for as long as it was, intermediate usage, short journeys just to supermarkets, it took over a month for it to start behaving like this.

it's so much fun risking a petrol fuel up not knowing weather you can start the thing afterward, I totally recommend the high, it's better than ladbrokes.

As a thought, I wonder if there's some dodgy charge/discharge protection circuit in place, with slightly wonky tolerances, the power requirements for the car seem to be that of a small country.

It's the alarm/immobiliser fitted for the UK. You're not wrong about the drain, though. Mine took a goodly amount of charge after not being used last week.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk