Daninplymouth

Oil heat up time?

Hi, iv recently had my car turbo’d and a TD oil cooler fitted. They use a 5-40w oil I think, and I just wondered as in my head I would’ve thought the thicker oil would take longer to get up to temp but my car seems to warm up quicker now.
Now ambient temperatures are slightly higher this morning but only a couple of degrees.

Or could it be the turbo and associated pipe work creates more warm air around the engine block so this helps warm things faster?

Mine takes near enough the same time to warm up now with turbo and no oil cooler.  I know this because I've monitored before/after fitment and don't press on until it's fully warmed up. 

1 hour ago, mart86 said:

Mine takes near enough the same time to warm up now with turbo and no oil cooler.  I know this because I've monitored before/after fitment and don't press on until it's fully warmed up. 

Thanks I only take it easy whilst the oil warms up which is why it caught my attention. I was just expecting it to take longer but that doesn’t seem to be the case

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Maybe its the oil passing through the turbo? 

This is what I was thinking but I give it minimal throttle untill temps rise. Does hot exhaust gas still flow through the turbo even though it’s producing no/minimal boost?

9 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

This is what I was thinking but I give it minimal throttle untill temps rise. Does hot exhaust gas still flow through the turbo even though it’s producing no/minimal boost?

They certainly do.