Tweedbean

tweedbean's Porsche RS Green BRZ Build

DAY 89 

My Geraldsproject controller is here for the facelift dial cluster I have fitted.  It gives me a joystick and select button to navigate the menus etc and will be installed in the blanking plate inbetween the traction control buttons.  It took nearly 2 months to arrive the USA but im glad its here.  Now I just need the car to fit it to.

49984218692_fd2f8ab3cc_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I also finally have a USB retention cable that I am hoping will work this time.

49983957481_946509d7d1_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OE-Car-Stereo-Factory-USB-Retention-Interface-Cable-for-Toyota-RAV4-2012/184019557670?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Day 104

Not a massive update, the bodyshop have removed all the glass, removed any dents, sanded down the original paint, welded up the boot spoiler holes and are literally masking up the car as I type this.  Paint will be done this week hopefully with it due back to me possible next week.  It's been with the bodyshop for a month now, I didn't give them any deadline as I was happy for them to take their time and fit it in between other work, hence its taken longer than normal.

50036174918_40a17ed735_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Day 104
Not a massive update, the bodyshop have removed all the glass, removed any dents, sanded down the original paint, welded up the boot spoiler holes and are literally masking up the car as I type this.  Paint will be done this week hopefully with it due back to me possible next week.  It's been with the bodyshop for a month now, I didn't give them any deadline as I was happy for them to take their time and fit it in between other work, hence its taken longer than normal.
50036174918_40a17ed735_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr
Waiting for the colour reveal..

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Day 105

Yesterday I received a short video of the car in the paint booth.  The finish on the paint is spot on, so glossy and it hasn't even been polished yet.  Here is that short teaser clip, the colour is hidden for now, reveal coming soon via youtube.  Autoworx have done a great job, I cant wait to see it in person and start rebuilding it.  They are now painting all the individual bits like doors, bonnet, dash etc, hopefully it should be back with me pretty soon.  

https://youtu.be/2ov-RKFR19k

I have had real bad experience with bright colours that idiots tend to key them. Since mine is a daily, I wouldn't venture too far into exclusive colours but that's my use case. Waiting for the reveal mate. You are building it up

8 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

I have had real bad experience with bright colours that idiots tend to key them. Since mine is a daily, I wouldn't venture too far into exclusive colours but that's my use case. Waiting for the reveal mate. You are building it up

Im lucky in the fact my cars are pure weekend fun cars and we have a gated driveway.  I've worked from home for the last 3 years, so they dont' tend to be left out on the streets etc so have been lucky so far.

I've just had some new pictures just sent through.  Bodyshop are taking their time, I told them there was no rush to get it done so its not their main focus which reflects in the price.

Car is completely painted and has been flatted ready for a polish and the windscreen etc has been reistalled.  This morning they polished the roof and as you can see its super shiny: 

50086494766_29b12d1915_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

They are aiming to complete it this Friday, I cant wait to see it and arrange for it to be dropped back to me.  

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

It certainly makes a statement!

It certainly does, not many green ones about.  Ive never seen a Porsche RS green one.

Here is the photoshop I created which covers my plans for the BRZ based off a yellow STI from Japan, lets see how close I get to it:

50113351721_424e7aa704_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Still a long way to go, it certainly wont remain stock for long, plenty of parts ready to go on it one rebuilt.  So pleased with the colour it came out perfect and gives me a matching pair with my Mini.

48086356273_9c363ec88f_c.jpgJUNE 2019 R53 by James Baker, on Flickr

Here are some pics from the body shop while they were polishing it.  

50113303496_bd51a06ce6_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Dropped off today by transporter:

50113303596_483bcf226b_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

50113303581_807606b218_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

The rebuild begins:

50113303526_74c89acffe_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Luke said:

It looks quite nice, Will their be other Porsche touches to it? 

Thanks its not as acid green as the photos show above, I blame the iPhone camera.  The Mini photo is a true representation of the colour.  Porsche touches wise, lets see, there will be some carbon bits, without going over the top as well as alcantara on the inside. I have Porsche RS style door pulls on my Mini, I wonder if you can get them for the BRZ, If not I might get some made.

48211417742_2685953afb_b.jpg

48211417712_d259d93e96_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

Not the best picture but you get the idea:

48211348011_d2487d5e07_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

My second evening of work was a little shorter but got plenty done before it rained.

The passenger door handle plastic section that holds the lock on the inside of the door had come away not allowing me to fit the door handles.  It was a tight squeeze but I managed to undo the bolt, manoeuvre it back into place and bolt down so no future issues.  Also the interior door handle had become disconnected at the door latch end so I had to remove the locking mechanism from the its mount and use long nose pliers to re-attach the yellow cable.  That meant my issues with the doors were fixed.

So I refitted all the door seals, door mirrors, front triangular window glass, door cards, wind seals and bits of interior trim next to the doors.  All went back perfectly with no left over screws/bolts which is always a bonus.

50118480511_fc9a3020db_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

The door mirror caps are with the body shop still, they are going gloss black and the central dash piece they are filling the hold the BRZ has for an alarm LED and painting that green to match the other section.  Please ignore the dusty interior, thats getting blitzed this weekend now that the doors/windows seal properly.

Ive also built the side trims back up after clearing off all the old glue from the black pieces and treating them to a layer of Gtecniq C4 plastic restorer to keep them looking tip top:

50117912503_95f6017948_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

31 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

I'd be so paranoid if I sprayed my car. Are you considering ppf or anything like that protective film?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No protective film, its a car that will get driven so I expect the odd stone chip but its not my daily.  The good thing to note is the paint is a lot more hardy/applied thicker than the stock subaru paint.  I have the same paint on my Mini R53 thats been painted a number of years and still looks spot on.  I will be applying plenty of layers of wax etc over it before it goes back on the road.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

That's coming together nicely.  Black gloss door mirrors will match it well.

Thanks, thats what I thought, break it up with some black, similar to the sideskirts etc which will be black.  

A quick update on progress with the BRZ, had very little time to work on it however its gone pretty smoothly so far.  The only major issue I have so far is the fact facelift washer jet covers for the front bumper do not fit pre-facelift headlight washer jets themselves, which is annoying as I had bought them separately as they were missing off the car.  Solution is to do away with headlight washers and just stick the covers to the bumper, or a more sensible solution is to source facelift washers, very hard to come by and expensive from the dealer.

Sundays job involved stripping the front end down:

- Removing the wings as they werent bolted on properly, they were only on for ease of transport

50133153918_367568a4ef_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

- Refitting the wings

- Fit headlights

- Fit HID kit for headlights

- Fit bonnet struts from Fensport

- Wire in the new aftermarket yellow fog lights

- Wire the drivers side repeater as that was destroyed

- Sort panel gap

50133937202_4ae989debf_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

- Fit bumper under tray

- Fit front bumper

- Refit a load of plastic engine bay trim

50133154108_4d05298354_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

50133154218_757bf73e35_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

50133937552_95ce4ed5b7_c.jpgUntitled by James Baker, on Flickr

I still have a pile of stock bits to fit like wheel arch liners, number plates etc then its ready for an MOT and back on the road.  Then the modding can begin.