EIGHTY_SIX_

Mx5 to blue edition - Dorset

Hey guys, I'm coming from a '19 mazda mx5 2.0l nd2. Picking a blue edition up on Saturday, very excited. For me the 86 offers a more hardcore, engaging and playful driving experince thanks to the stiffer chassis and the firmer dialled in suspension. The Mx5 is not a touring car as no room for spare wheel and no room for anything else! Also passengers never had enough leg room which made longer journeys a problem. Plan to tour alps and scotland when not enjoying early morning Sunday b-road blasts around Dorset.

First question: Wanting a spare wheel but concerned I won't find one that will clear the club edition brembo's. Anyone had any results?

2.jpg

Welcome and good choice. :)

I think you have four options with the spare wheel;

1. Get  a spacesaver. This will be fine, but will not fit the front so you'd have to swop wheels around if you had to use it. 

2. Take measurements of the OEM wheels and get something similar aftermarket. Not always easy to buy one wheel though. 

3. Buy  a new OEM wheel. It will not be cheap.

4. Don't worry about it. I've done five Euro trips including the Alps clockwise and anti-clockwise to Lake Garda. I don't have a spare. 

I guess I've been lucky, but I've never had a flat tyre in 20 years of driving so the fact my last 3 cars have had no spare hasn't been an issue.

You can get single, second hand wheels on eBay.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

On 2/24/2020 at 7:11 AM, Lauren said:

Welcome and good choice. :)

I think you have four options with the spare wheel;

1. Get  a spacesaver. This will be fine, but will not fit the front so you'd have to swop wheels around if you had to use it. 

2. Take measurements of the OEM wheels and get something similar aftermarket. Not always easy to buy one wheel though. 

3. Buy  a new OEM wheel. It will not be cheap.

4. Don't worry about it. I've done five Euro trips including the Alps clockwise and anti-clockwise to Lake Garda. I don't have a spare. 

Hey Lauren,

Thanks for those points. I'll go for number 1 and do a swap around. Also your review on the blue edition definitely swayed me to go for one. Great content.