awood12345

Looking to Buy Soon

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a GT86 soon. I'm after a first gen, with an automatic gearbox (commuting in it) in red around the £10-11k region. My car history is a Ford Fusion and Mercedes A150 and a Fort Transit so this is a nice step up. I'm after a sporty car with an ok mpg so this seems like the better choice from me over a 350z. My history is in fast motorbikes so this is the first time I've looked for a decent car. I wanted to get opinions on things I should check GT86 specific.

• Where should I look for rust?
  • What are the most important parts of the service history to look for? Plugs look like a pain.
  • Should I check with an OBD?
  • Is the auto gearbox reliable?
  • Was reversing camera an option?
  • How bad is the flat spot I keep hearing about.

Any advice you can give would be great. I apologise if there is already a buyers guide I didn't find.

Cheers,

Alan

The torque dip isn't really a massive issue. Keep the revs up and it is fine. A lot of us have sorted this with a manifold and remap. Makes a big difference to mid-range torque. 

The car never had a reversing camera. You can fit an aftermarket unit to do this to the stock head unit. 

Plugs are only changed every 60K. Yes a pain to do and a more expensive service, but you don't have to change them often. 

Auto gearbox is reliable. It only really has limitations if you go turbo, but this can be managed.

As for important parts of the service history, spark plugs at 60K, fuel filter at 80K and also that the diff oil has been changed every 20K. Some dealers seem to skip this. 

2012-2013 cars that the valve spring recall has been done, also steering harness recall in 2016. 

There are no real issues with rust yet. 

Hi again, I test drove a GT86 today and enjoyed it. I want to buy one but now to decide what the right one is. I liked the one I saw but I have a couple questions.

I noticed the slight hint of rust on the base of the drivers front window pillar. It is a 2014 model so out of warranty. Is this something that will turn into a major problem?

The headlight jet cover and the door handle on one side seemed a bit faded (lighter shade), is this common? I'm assuming these will brighten up with some TLC? I would believe so.

One rim has some scratches, Is this expensive to put right? I think they can be re-cut?

Thanks for the help. :D

Window pillar is a common fault not all cars have it but don’t know of anyone who has paid to replace them rust only gets worse never seen one rotted away cars not that old my headlight jet covers have faded doubt if they will restore but never bothered as for wheels change them or or get them coated left my stock ones in shed and they went right off😩

Looks immaculate! There used to be kits available circa £120.  But you can just buy a camera and the adapter separately and wire it yourself.  Cost me £30 all in.  I believe it's a 16 pin connector pre 17 reg for the stock head unit.  And if I remember correctly it has to be Ntsc not pal.  Otherwise its a grey grainy picture with stock head unit.  If you're upgrading the head unit you won't need the adapter though. 

That is the correct one. 

Bare in mind most aftermarket cameras require 12V where the output from the HU is 6v. 

I have used a DC-DC step up converter to boost the voltage from 6V to 12V when installing mine rather than taking 12V from somewhere and using a relay to switch the camera on when in reverse. 

As stated above that is the correct one.  

The camera also has to be powered up before the head unit as I found out when I wired mine in with the reverse lights initially.  

Mine is wired from the 12v ant power behind the head unit with an in line fuse to protect the cable.  Running 2 years with a cheap Chinese £10 camera with no issues.