Batty

Buy now or wait?

Hi all,

Appreciate that these sorts of topics must be a dime-a-dozen on this forum, but if anyone could help me that would be much appreciated!

I've decided on buying a GT86 PRO, specifically a '17 plate or newer. I've seen a few that I like around the £17.5k-18.5k area, but I have a voice in the back of my head telling me to wait until April, as I'm thinking there'll be more 86s (or BRZs) being turned in after their PCP leases refresh, and with the new plates the 17s would drop in price.

However, these are just assumptions so I was wondering what the general advice from the community would be? Should I just bite the bullet and buy now, or sit tight and wait for April?

Also, a lot of the PROs I've seen for sale don't have the rear spoiler (which I quite like), or parking sensors. I know there are topics on here discussing aftermarket options for both of these, but have general opinions changed at all? I've gone from refusing to look at 86s without either, to now really considering just adding a tape-on spoiler if I want it, and a rear parking camera. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I hope to join the club proper soon!

Many thanks!

The my15 I bought has rear sensors fitted. I am glad it did as for some reason I think I am a lot nearer to things when reversing and turning e.g. out of a car parking space than I actually am as the sensors are not even bleeping at the point I think I have gone far enough back. There have been times when I have thought they have broken only to go back another in few centimetres and they start to bleep lol.

Never have this issue with the  gen7 celica which has no reverse sensors but I can judge that to within by a couple of centimeters in exactly the same situation lol. I can only assume that Celica is a hatchback so bottom of rear window is pretty much the back of the car whereas the gt86 has a high boot lid so feels like when I can't see the bonnet/bumper of the car behind me I am too close. However must be at least 50cm otherwise the rear sensors would have started bleeping

Anyway that's my excuse and I am sticking to it lol

Reverse sensors are dealer fit, I think, so can easily be added - or get a camera.

As for PCP, I assume you mean the registration change in March? I don't think it'll make a meaningful difference. Most people won't have been bothered about the new registrations, it's not the sort of car you buy to show off to the neighbours. (cough, anything German, cough) It's also hard to "time" your car right to get a very new one. Mine was delivered a couple of days after the September reg change, but I'd ordered it in April...

I fitted a camera, much better than holes in the bumper for reverse parking. 

Most aftermarket car accessories shops will offer several options and will be reasonably priced and just as good if not better then dealer fit, because you'll have more choice.

I would just focus on finding the car in the right colour and spec for what you want, so if one comes up before March go for it. I don't think the next year of registration makes a massive difference in all honesty. Definitely get one with the Alcantara/leather heated seats, much nicer than the cloth and heated seats are lovely to have. Same with spoiler,  get the car you want in the right spec. I specified parking sensors when I bought my car and do appreciate having them. It is a dealer fit option though so you could add them after. I prefer them over a reversing camera, as I prefer to park with my side mirrors. 

I bought my 86 in December and i have to reverse close up to my garage for parking so i decided to get some reversing sensors fitted and must say i'm so pleased with them and i think they look the part

I paid £200 but i believe it was money well spent

20200219_120806.jpg

20200219_120814.jpg

According to this graph: https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/toyota_gt86_pro_d-4s , the number of GT86 pro's potentially available after 3-year PCP/lease type deals will at most be 200 (but it will be much less). If you waited another year, it would be a similar number. Given the number of Toyota dealers in the UK, it'll be 1 car or less per dealer, ignoring colour and spec. You'll really struggle to find the right car that way! You might see some more Blue Editions if you waited until late 2020.

The GT86 is a low volume car now that the initial sales are over.