Matt21

Almost an owner! North Yorks

So I've recently sold my previous 'toy' car, Honda s2000, and looking to sell my daily.

The S2000 was a brilliant car to drive, however suffered piston ring failure shortly after I bought it. because of this I decided to try my hand at engine building! I got a machine shop to drill out the cylinders and press in darton sleeves, and then I rebuilt the rest of the engine with a set of CP carillo pistons. And surprisingly.... it worked!

In the meantime I got a bit bored while away at work so started browsing ebay as you do... next thing I know I've called a dealer and left a deposit for a car!

Unfortunately for me I'm currently still away at work so haven't picked it up yet. The days are dragging I'll tell you that!

The car in question is a '62 GT86 in white. I've not driven one before which I know is a bit odd, but... I've wanted one since they got released and I guess now is a good a time as any!

The car comes with a few mods, which there aren't a huge amount of details of unfortunately. 'Exhaust and a switchable remap', Totally unsure what exhaust it is, speaking to the dealer he says the remap has 4 switchable modes, so doesn't really narrow it down!

Hopefully I'll be picking it up on Friday and travelling back to North Yorkshire on a rather indirect route through the Yorkshire dales, I figured I may as well give the car a good test ;)

Future plans, coilovers, thinking of a set of Tein Flex's which seem to get good reviews for the price. And a set of Yoko AD08RS', I had these on the S2000 and found them brilliant. That should do for now!

Welcome along. Only drove a S2000 once (my mate brought one then when we collected it I had to drive it back, what a hoot to drive)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Matt21 said:

The car comes with a few mods, which there aren't a huge amount of details of unfortunately. 'Exhaust and a switchable remap', Totally unsure what exhaust it is, speaking to the dealer he says the remap has 4 switchable modes, so doesn't really narrow it down!

I was wondering if by any chance there is a previous owner lurking on here that can shed some light on the car? Previously had a private reg, L555 JSP and would be from around the blackpool area I would imagine?

Future plans, coilovers, thinking of a set of Tein Flex's which seem to get good reviews for the price. And a set of Yoko AD08RS', I had these on the S2000 and found them brilliant. That should do for now!

Welcome! Some good plans already. I've always liked the S2K. 

I'm sure I recognise that number plate, just can't think who. Someone will know! 

The exhaust and switchable mapping will likely be an ECUTeK remap. Most popular choice is a manifold and remap, might be lucky and have a cat back too! If you have some pictures I'm sure somebody will recognise the exhaust and be able to tell you.

Enjoy the drive back! 

20 minutes ago, James18 said:

The exhaust and switchable mapping will likely be an ECUTeK remap. Most popular choice is a manifold and remap, might be lucky and have a cat back too! If you have some pictures I'm sure somebody will recognise the exhaust and be able to tell you.

Enjoy the drive back! 

From the pics I've seen, which I don't have to hand at the moment, it looks like a stock exhaust. I didn't know whether someone made a standard looking system? maybe just manifold, either way, it saves me a bit of cash!

Yer the honda was brilliant, but required a bit more work to get it right, and after spending close to £4k on parts to rebuild the engine already, I just couldn't justify anymore. 

Hi Lauren,

I checked on the Toyota site and there are no recalls outstanding.

The dealer has also sent me copies of photos from a 'recall', I can see an open cylinder head in them and also a clutch that's been removed, so assume the springs have been changed as well as the clutch and plugs while they were at it!
Should have done around 6k miles since that (I think), and obviously still going ok! 

1 hour ago, Matt21 said:

Hi Lauren,

I checked on the Toyota site and there are no recalls outstanding.

The dealer has also sent me copies of photos from a 'recall', I can see an open cylinder head in them and also a clutch that's been removed, so assume the springs have been changed as well as the clutch and plugs while they were at it!
Should have done around 6k miles since that (I think), and obviously still going ok! 

That's good to know, Matt. Good luck with picking it up and enjoy the drive home. :)

So I managed to track down the previous owner (very creepy I know!).

The car has a tuning developments n/a pack on it, so exhaust manifold, panel filter and a remap! Rest of the exhaust is standard. as is the rest of the car apart from Maxton designs splitter and side skirts :D