Daninplymouth

Oil cooler needed?

Hi, I am getting the TD turbo fitted in a couple of weeks and just wanted confirmation that the oil cooler is needed. I am planning on fitting one, my car is used as a daily and mostly fairly short trips but I have booked a few track days for this year. I just wasn’t sure how hot this would run with no cooler fitted, I think mike uses 0-40 oil.l

thanks

It will run pretty hot on track without the cooler. The turbo is oil cooled so will help the oil to get hot. 

The only issue I had with the oil cooler is that on a normal motorway journey at 70 mph winter time my oil is too cold at 75-80 degrees where it used to stay at 90 when stock. 

You might look at the Forester cooler as an option if you are planning to do the occasional track day but mainly daily the car.

I have the oil cooler fitted. I fitted before any mods. I would do this again if I was starting again.

With the TD turbo fitted, for most daily driving the oil sits at 70, which is the thermostat level. On the track I've seen it get upto 100 before. Cruising on the motorway at 67mph, in cold weather I've seen my oil at a reported temperature of 68, but most of the time it's around 70-72. Sat in traffic it can jump up quite quickly to around 100.

It's your call on if you worry about over cooling the oil. Doesn't bother me too much TBH. It's modern oil.

I'm not turbo but run an oil cooler. If you're worried about running a bit cool just cover the cooler during the cooler months. I just use duct tape on the front bumper grill over the cooler.

You've got me concerned about getting an oil cooler for my supercharger now.  When hammering it (rarely), I've seen the oil temp rise to around 90 or so.  I've not used the car with 'charger in the summer months yet.  What temps am I likely to see then?  What is the safe high oil temp limit?

4 minutes ago, MartinT said:

What is the safe high oil temp limit?

I have my ecutek set to alert when my oil hits 115. I think that's conservative though and I suspect 120 would be fine. I'm just happy at that point to back off and let the oil cooler get fresh air over it.

The other things I've done which seems to work; 

• Is remove the rubber strip at the back of the bonnet
    • In summer only, I put it back in winter as I didn't think I needed the extra cooling
    • This seemed to stop my bonnet lifting at high speeds and you can also feel heat coming out of the bonnet
    • I've also read (via Verus IIRC) that this actually doesn't do anything for cooling as it's a high pressure area
  • Turn the air-con on.
    • The aircon being on starts the 2nd fan in the engine bay. When I've done that in traffic I've seen the temperature drop fairly quickly.

@MartinT anywhere between 90-100 is optimal, for normal driving. 

You shouldn't need an oil cooler, if your running a premium oil you should be fine. 

If you start tracking the car, then yes you ideally should get an oil cooler. 

For reference, I'm using Millers CFS-0w30 NT and Millers state: suitable for operating at 125 with peak upto 150. On track I tend to get up to about 125 and then the temperature tends to sits there due to my oil cooler.

I wonder if there is a difference on the temp sensor on the facelift? As on a sustained motorway cruise mine sits around 105-110 stock. On a trackday last month the oil was touching 130 when I backed off and this day was 0-1degree outside so would be far to hot if it was a warmer day. I know it’d run hotter again due to the turbo but wasn’t sure if the thicker oil would mange the temps better

I have the facelift BRZ with oil temp gauge, but the scale is maddening in spanning 90 to 130 without axis marks.  Thinking about it again, mine sits around 100-105 after a long run.  My ECUTeK tune will reduce the rev limiter if the oil hits 130.