Willson777

Crack in TD Super-Res Exhaust

Hi Guys,

So I've finally pulled my finger out and sorted out the original problem I had in this thread: 

Quick recap:

I have the NA pack from TD with the Super-res exhaust. After about 9 months I started hearing this horrible high pitched tapping sound, only when accelerating anywhere above 3200 rpm with a warmed up exhaust. I thought originally that it was striking part of the chassis structure or heat shield...

After going to a couple of local mechanics who weren't particularly helpful, I did a quick forum search here and saw that @MartinT has previously mentioned a similar problem in his blog. Martin was very helpful as he lives not too far from me and he was happy to go for a ride/listen and agreed that it was in fact the same sound that he had previously encountered.

I took my car down to @Mark@Abbey M/S (Abbey Motorsport) the next day, who were very accommodating. They couldn't see any cracks or problems with the exhaust on a visual inspection initially, and even putting the engine under-load using the brakes on the rolling road, they couldn't replicate the noise I was hearing. I took them out for a drive and managed to get the noise to appear (and now that the exhaust was nice and hot) it was also apparent when revving in idle too. 

Back on the lift for inspection and they found the crack had now opened up, which went about 3/4 of the way around the super-resonator at the engine end (picture attached). 

After a quick weld and fairly nominal fee, it was all sorted and I am back to enjoying the car properly again! Now that it is fixed, I can tell that the crack was not only causing the tap but had also changed the exhaust note subtley and it sounds a-lot better now it is fixed, very pleased. 

To be fair to @Mike@TD.co.uk he was more than happy to have a look at the exhaust when I originally emailed him a good 6 months ago, but due to geography it wasn't going to be practical to get it over to him, and I am yet to speak with Mike directly following the fix. 

Just thought I would share my story as this is what the forums is for! If it wasn't for the forum then I wouldn't have seen Martins blog post and it could've made the road to repair a lot more tedious and drawn out.

crackedresonator.jpg

Glad you got it sorted, that has split the baffle itself, on the lower left side the silencer looks deformed/bashed/scraped. Have you caught a speed bump or similar with it at all? Looks like it has taken an impact.

Any other niggles or questions, please just ask.

Mike

I was very happy to help, @Willson777  It was obvious as soon as I took that ride in your car that it was the same kind of sound appearing under load when the engine is twisting slightly on its mounts.  I have had this twice, the first time it was a small crack that Bulldog Subaru Twyford sent down the road for a repair.  The second time was more recently at Abbey Motorsport and Scott and @Mark@Abbey M/S diagnosed it pretty quickly and welded the crack closed in my TD super-resonator.

I am slightly concerned that it might happen again and wonder if any other members have had this happen?

2 hours ago, Mike@TD.co.uk said:

Glad you got it sorted, that has split the baffle itself, on the lower left side the silencer looks deformed/bashed/scraped. Have you caught a speed bump or similar with it at all? Looks like it has taken an impact.

Any other niggles or questions, please just ask.

Mike

Hi Mike, I can't recall any particular event that stands out and the car hasn't been lowered in any way. The noise gradually came on over a couple of weeks then seemed to maintain a consistent maximum level.

You make a valid point though and considering the state of the roads these days it could have well been  weakened by some sort of pot-hole impact or other. I'll monitor it for now and see how we get on.