RetroBeast

GT86 Tyre choice

Hi there everyone this is my first post after purchasing my white Toyota GT86 in the last few days... Looking to get new tyres for the standard 17" alloys as it has winter tyres currently fitted. What road legal tyres are best for street / track use? Thanks in advance 

IMG_20200131_205140.jpg

How much tracking are you doing? I swap tyres (2 sets of wheels) between ps4 for road and ad08r for track. But I'd run the ad08r most of the year tbh, just not good in heavy rain and have to take it easy.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

If not Pilot sport 4....      Yokohama V105 are great, close to the grip of the Pilot sport and really progressive.

I use V105 on mine. Road car with one or two trackdays a year.

If you want the quietest tyre go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, which is what I use. I have been through PS4 and Primacy and do find them very buzzy on motorway speeds. Mind, I have the car fully sound insulated professionally and I like my drive as quiet as possible in the GT( Gran Tourer)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

If you want the quietest tyre go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, which is what I use. I have been through PS4 and Primacy and do find them very buzzy on motorway speeds. Mind, I have the car fully sound insulated professionally and I like my drive as quiet as possible in the GT( Gran Tourer) emoji1.png

F1s are hopeless on track though which the OP has said they want to do. 

F1s are hopeless on track though which the OP has said they want to do. 
Fair point. The asy 3s were not good. The new 5s were launched only in oct last year and I am curious if someone has really tested them on track and speak by experience as their tech has moved up.
OP has not clarified how much of track , so I gave a road option assuming a couple of track days a year, which is what most end up doing unless you are a real enthusiast.
The more choices with logic, the merrier for OP really. Not much use being an echo chamber

Another vote for PS4's, currently running Yoko AD08RS but when I next need tyres I'm going to go back to PS4 as they have the edge in wet grip and very similar dry grip.

Here's the cheapest price I can find, in the stock size:

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s15p135294/Michelin_Tyres_Car_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_4_PS4_-_215_45_R17_(91Y)_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Hmm, am i wrong grouping similar to tyre reviews site:

conti premium contact 6/goodyear f1 asymmetric 5/michelin ps4 in street class,

conti sport contact 6/goodyear f1 supersport/michelin pss & ps4S / ad08r in hybrid class

goodyear f1 supersport R/bridgestone re71r / yokohama a052 / michelin pilot sport cup 2 in track tires

(leaving track/race slicks completely aside).

My own choice would be PS4S .. but it's sold in 17" only in US, we have only non-S .. which, as from my experience from past year, also imho runs a bit short for track use, also can be overheated. Hence considering for oncoming summer PSS or AD08R ..

Been looking for tyres for a while. In the wet, the Primacy tyres are the worst I ever experienced. 😒 I looked up several tests, resulting in the PS4 being a winner on average. Are there (apart from wear and economy) any arguments against this tyre?

Here's the 8th set of Tyres waiting to be fitted to the GT86 in time for the first trackday of the year on Saturday 29th February at Three Sisters

I gone for Kumho PS71's which are a direct replacement to the KU39's....

4 tyres including delivery were £280.00 from MOT Motorsport Ltd

Will still have 2 spare KU39 Tyres though, as there is a Full Size Spare Wheel in the Boot and have one Spare Tyre kept at home default_smile.png

The idea is if ever get a puncture, then one of the New Tyres would end up in the Boot as the Spare !!

24bfcb63a93301ac14cca35b93c774b2.jpg350ea18a283c0cc62a3fb8cb5df1598b.jpg

Hmm, am i wrong grouping similar to tyre reviews site:
conti premium contact 6/goodyear f1 asymmetric 5/michelin ps4 in street class,
conti sport contact 6/goodyear f1 supersport/michelin pss & ps4S / ad08r in hybrid class
goodyear f1 supersport R/bridgestone re71r / yokohama a052 / michelin pilot sport cup 2 in track tires
(leaving track/race slicks completely aside).
My own choice would be PS4S .. but it's sold in 17" only in US, we have only non-S .. which, as from my experience from past year, also imho runs a bit short for track use, also can be overheated. Hence considering for oncoming summer PSS or AD08R ..
This is true and if you go by scientific tests from tyrereviews Eagle F1 is top of this range and it's a very new launch.
See screenshot below for all tyres in the range available in UK compared and their relative rating.

20200205_093238.jpg