No.13

Adding a factory spoiler?

Hello all, I intend to buy a 2017+ model 86 or BRZ in the very near future. I'm still very green when it comes to this particular vehicle so please excuse my ignorance.. I'm learning.

I preferably want one with an OEM spoiler but there a very few about on Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay etc. On the other hand there a loads of spoilerless ones (will call coupe). So I started to wonder what it would take to add an OEM spoiler to a coupe version. Do you need a new boot lid etc? I also intend to do a bit of light modding (for regular road use). From the research I done, the car would benefit greatly from new tyres, exhaust manifold, tune and rear subfame mounting bushings. I'm fairly close to Fensport which is good. If there is anything obvious missing from that list please feel free to add to. While I'm at it Is anyone aware of places to find good example BRZ/86's at the moment? I've read your buyers guide which has been helpful. Thanks guys & apologies for my indiscriminate questioning.

I'm not aware that the rear subframe bushings need upgrading. Personally I think the rest of your list sounds like a great place to start.

After that I'd upgrade the front door and dash speakers. There's a Focal kit (IS165 IIRC)that's pretty much plug and play and sounds so much better than the stock speakers, for not a lot of money.

I'd also not waste any money on the sat nav; it's useless.

17 minutes ago, nikndel said:

If you get a plain boot put on what you like but wouldn’t put a oem spoiler on so many other choices

Thanks.. I was thinking OEM for insurance declaration reasons. Do you need to drill holes/bolt or is it stick on?

3 minutes ago, No.13 said:

Thanks.. I was thinking OEM for insurance declaration reasons. Do you need to drill holes/bolt or is it stick on?

You'll need to drill the boot to fit the OEM spoiler. But I'd definitely echo what has been said - why go for OEM when there's so much choice and imo better looking aftermarket ones. 

If you buy a car with a spoiler less boot, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be that hard to find someone that would want to swap for their one with the spoiler!

I can't imagine a spoiler making a huge difference on insurance.

15 minutes ago, GravelRash said:

I'm not aware that the rear subframe bushings need upgrading. Personally I think the rest of your list sounds like a great place to start.

After that I'd upgrade the front door and dash speakers. There's a Focal kit (IS165 IIRC)that's pretty much plug and play and sounds so much better than the stock speakers, for not a lot of money.

I'd also not waste any money on the sat nav; it's useless.

Thankyou, fortunately I already have a decent Kenwood with good Garmin SatNav. Will definitely look up the Focal speakers. The bushing kit was recommended by a Toyota salesman. The specific kit is the Whiteline KDT922

The Toyota dealer sales guy that sold me mine went and checked for a price on getting the OEM spoiler fitted. He came back nearly speechless and shaking his head having been told by the parts department it would come in around £2k due to requiring a whole new bootlid!

Needless to say I passed on that. Still deciding what aftermarket route I want to go.

44 minutes ago, No.13 said:

Hello all, I intend to buy a 2017+ model 86 or BRZ in the very near future. I'm still very green when it comes to this particular vehicle so please excuse my ignorance.. I'm learning.

I thought all 2017+ models come with a factory spoiler?  Certainly the BRZ does.  Is there still a base model GT86 without a spoiler?

4 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I thought all 2017+ models come with a factory spoiler?  Certainly the BRZ does.  Is there still a base model GT86 without a spoiler?

I'm not entirely sure about the BRZ. The only one I've seen so far did have a spoiler but it was a bit of an iffy example. 86's on the other hand, I'd say it's about 6 without spoiler to 1 with spoiler on the market at the moment. edit: they were listed as pro spec.

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

The only BRZ model on sale is the SE Lux like mine.  That comes with the facelift spoiler as standard.

It's a shame there are so few about at the moment.

When I was looking for a white BRZ there were only two to view in the whole country.  Plymouth was closer (but not very close at all).  I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, and GT86s are not that frequent a sighting, either.

1 minute ago, MartinT said:

When I was looking for a white BRZ there were only two to view in the whole country.  Plymouth was closer (but not very close at all).  I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, and GT86s are not that frequent a sighting, either.

Frustrating for sure but it's part of the appeal.. at least for me anyways.

36 minutes ago, No.13 said:

Not keen on stick on as for drilling holes depends on how brave you are but a boot with no holes is gold dust

5 minutes ago, nikndel said:

Not keen on stick on as for drilling holes depends on how brave you are but a boot with no holes is gold dust

Thanks, Interesting. Much like what @James18 said.. If I get a plain unadulterated boot I might be able to do swapsies without too much bother.

38 minutes ago, chrispy said:

The Toyota dealer sales guy that sold me mine went and checked for a price on getting the OEM spoiler fitted. He came back nearly speechless and shaking his head having been told by the parts department it would come in around £2k due to requiring a whole new bootlid!

Needless to say I passed on that. Still deciding what aftermarket route I want to go.

Can't see how that can be possible. A new bootlid is £450 retail direct from Toyota

GT86 is without spoiler, GT86 Pro has a spoiler with delete a free option. BRZ always has a spoiler. OE ones are easy to get as forum members sell theirs. So look out for one in your colour. The TRD ducktail can be stuck not OE. Drive it for a bit and get to know it before thinking of upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

A new bootlid is £450 retail direct from Toyota

29 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

GT86 is without spoiler, GT86 Pro has a spoiler with delete a free option. BRZ always has a spoiler. OE ones are easy to get as forum members sell theirs. So look out for one in your colour. The TRD ducktail can be stuck not OE. Drive it for a bit and get to know it before thinking of upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Good info, thankyou. Looks like getting a spoiler isn't the obstacle I feared. There seems to be a few options, especially if you can buy a new boot lid with spoiler for £450?

Can't see how that can be possible. A new bootlid is £450 retail direct from Toyota

Perhaps they just weren’t interested in doing it then! Would suit the overall buying experience...Didn’t fact check that answer I must admit but I’ve seen someone else mention they were given a similar response elsewhere.

For reference Mine is a 2017 pro that the original owner decided to take the option of no spoiler on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MartinT said:

They are all here. There are 3 gt86s at work, and another 2 within a mile of my house lol

4 hours ago, James18 said:

A new front bumper is only £160+vat but with labour, paint etc that came to nearly £1300 when I enquired about getting it replaced at local Toyota dealership lol

I may be a bit late here but while looking for parts last month I was quoted £360 from a scrapyard for a 2017+ bootlid with the OEM spoiler with no marks or scratches. It would be a straight swap if the colour codes match.