Lussoman

Differences between BRZ SE and BRZ SE Lux?

The heating panels are stitched unto the underside of the leather seat covers. I guess the leather is thicker so doesn't transfer the heat as well as the alcantara seat base? Mine leather ones take ages and they were replaced less than 18m ago so definitely working......slowly lol

14 hours ago, MartinT said:

Sooner or later I'll get an Android head unit so that I can install apps that are genuinely useful, like Waze.

The Starlink will go in the bin if I'm feeling generous.  If I'm not, then I'll read it some Vogon poetry.

I just realised that your starlink is not Android Auto, Apple Car Play compatible. I think from 2018 onwards, they have had their head units compatible with these 2 technologies. Since you are an audiophile, i will not risk comparing audio quality across head units etc. 😀

13 hours ago, Lauren said:

As someone who knows how to operate the heated seats (a lot of owners don't), I can confirm that they are better with the half leather/alcantara option. You have to push the button forward to initially heat them, then push the button bcack once warm. Mine are hot within a minute. I don't wear any extra clothes when driving in the winter as I'd rather feel the benefit of them. They are well worth it IMO and far nicer than the no option cloth seats. Full leather heated seats don't work as well as I've found. 

I wouldn't buy one without heated seats. Glad I specified it as an option. 

AFAIK, the BRZ seats are not retro fitted by Transcal at Portbury docks and are different to the GT86 ones. No known issues with them and they are on cloth/alcantara base (with leather bolsters) , and not full leather like the GT.

2 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

AFAIK, the BRZ seats are not retro fitted by Transcal at Portbury docks and are different to the GT86 ones. No known issues with them and they are on cloth/alcantara base (with leather bolsters) , and not full leather like the GT.

The early model seat is exactly the same with Alcantara base with leather bolsters. They may not be be fitted at Portbury Docks, though they may be, or they may be fitted somewhere else. Very few people have had issues with these seats in the GT. Though more have been sold so the odd issue is more likely, but far from common. The full leather option for the GT, was another option alongside the 'Pro' option which is the same as the Lux option effectively. There is no cloth option that are heated for either car. The cloth option is just cloth, not Alcantara. 

I am pretty sure, that the later seats are again exactly the same between GT and BRZ. 

IIRC only issue/complain for alcantara-leather ones reported in forums is by relatively low mileage visible wear on side bolsters leather. But yes, those seats certainly were in GTs too, after all they are here in mine (late MY2013)

I just realised that your starlink is not Android Auto, Apple Car Play compatible. I think from 2018 onwards, they have had their head units compatible with these 2 technologies. Since you are an audiophile, i will not risk comparing audio quality across head units etc. 

If it had been Android Auto compatible I'd be happy. As it is, the US centric apps are useless and the sound is terrible.

It's ok, the engine is my orchestra and I have the 'big rig' at home for proper listening.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Church said:

IIRC only issue/complain for alcantara-leather ones reported in forums is by relatively low mileage visible wear on side bolsters leather. But yes, those seats certainly were in GTs too, after all they are here in mine (late MY2013)

That does, happen, but really it is user error. Driving in coats and not taking care getting in and out will cause issues with the leather side bolsters. Mine still look good enough after 145K. There is slight creasing of the side bolster by the door and the Alcantara has gone a little shiny in places but you would expect that with the mileage. Regular leather treatment helps too. 

I personally rate the leather/alcantara seats in the lux, I think it looks much nicer than the cloth, but that is only personal. I also really like a heated seat, in my car the rocker switch is forward for high, back for low i.e. both ways on the rocker switches them on, you don't have to go to the high setting first.

My car also has the arm-rest which I'd previously assumed was part of the Lux Pack, but maybe the previous owner had it fitted as an additional option.

Either way, if I was buying another BRZ I'd get the Lux pack again.

McDude: switch works that way for all with heated seats on all twins with them. It was more of operating advise/hint from Lauren, not different switch, how to get seats warm quicker, by initially choosing hotter mode for initial warmup, and then switching to low for rest of driving, vs starting in low, which may take longer to get up to temps.

The early model seat is exactly the same with Alcantara base with leather bolsters. They may not be be fitted at Portbury Docks, though they may be, or they may be fitted somewhere else. Very few people have had issues with these seats in the GT. Though more have been sold so the odd issue is more likely, but far from common. The full leather option for the GT, was another option alongside the 'Pro' option which is the same as the Lux option effectively. There is no cloth option that are heated for either car. The cloth option is just cloth, not Alcantara. 
I am pretty sure, that the later seats are again exactly the same between GT and BRZ. 
This is too specific now but continuing for fun and accuracy. Subaru has had 3 seat upholstery , all in pics I took from auto trader today. Only 1 is common with GT86 also in pic.
Toyota had full leather not available for brz and Toyota has 2 colours of stitching, silver and red. Brz only red. Screenshot_20200129-114352_Auto Trader.jpgScreenshot_20200129-090257_Auto Trader.jpgScreenshot_20200129-090036_Auto Trader.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Church said:

McDude: switch works that way for all with heated seats on all twins with them. It was more of operating advise/hint from Lauren, not different switch, how to get seats warm quicker, by initially choosing hotter mode for initial warmup, and then switching to low for rest of driving, vs starting in low, which may take longer to get up to temps.

This is how the button works: 

Pressing foward is rapid heat. 

Pressing button back is for when it's heated up to maintain the heat. So push forward to get it hot quickly. Then after about five minutes press it fully back to maintain it. If you leave it pressed forward it will just cycle on and off. 

There is not a high and low setting. RTFM. 👍

5 hours ago, MartinT said:

If it had been Android Auto compatible I'd be happy. As it is, the US centric apps are useless and the sound is terrible.

It's ok, the engine is my orchestra and I have the 'big rig' at home for proper listening.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

👍 I'm with you on that.  I don't do enough boring motorway journeys these days to be bothered about any music other than what's coming from the engine.

3 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

This is too specific now but continuing for fun and accuracy. Subaru has had 3 seat upholstery , all in pics I took from auto trader today. Only 1 is common with GT86 also in pic.
Toyota had full leather not available for brz and Toyota has 2 colours of stitching, silver and red. Brz only red. Screenshot_20200129-114352_Auto Trader.jpgScreenshot_20200129-090257_Auto Trader.jpgScreenshot_20200129-090036_Auto Trader.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Love the one in the third pic - from the limited edition model.  Gives that sombre-looking interior a much needed lift IMHO.  I don't think there's many of those around.

5 hours ago, Lauren said:

Pressing button back is for when it's heated up to maintain the heat. So push forward to get it hot quickly. Then after about five minutes press it fully back to maintain it. If you leave it pressed forward it will just cycle on and off. 

Unfortunately, with leather mine is not up to temp in 5 mins, probably a good 10mins is required. That's with me sitting on them. The heating panels were only changed under warranty 18m ago as before that they didn't work full stop. Transcal/Toyota said the leather ones have less heating effect too which I took to mean they don't get as hot presumably as the alcantara variant

The gt86 has had various versions of the all leather too as my 15  plate has totally different design rectangles down the middle of seat (seen in a black aero previoi for sale on here but not sure how to link photo from the thread lol) to my14 plate of another club member on here whose has diamonds lol

21 hours ago, Lauren said:

That logic would suggest that going straight to switch backwards would do nothing, this isn't the case as it does switch the seats on. 

I only ever switch mine backwards.  Forwards is too hot and I don't mind the longer wait for it to warm up.

Ruth, on the other hand, would prefer a position of 'scalding hot near the core of the sun' setting on her seat.

48 minutes ago, McDude said:

That logic would suggest that going straight to switch backwards would do nothing, this isn't the case as it does switch the seats on. 

Not really. If you have it all the way back it heats up still, albeit slowly. As I've said many times before, RTFM. 👍