CarbonImage

Looking at a GT86 today

Hi All, 

Going to look at an '86 today. Always told myself I'd have one some day but never thought I'd be able to afford it for a good few years. However one has just turned up locally that looks just the right spec and price, so going down there to have a drool and maybe empty my bank account. 

Previous cars include a modified MX-5 and Mk2 TT, but currently driving a diesel golf which makes me sad :(

The car in question is Grey, '12 plate (hasn't had the valve spring recall done yet. Should I be worried about this? I think I would just get it done ASAP for peace of mind). 

Auto 'box which I've always fancied as I do a lot of stop-start driving mixed with motorway cruises. Is it responsive enough for a little country lane blast though?

Has reverse sensors, heated seats etc. 67k miles so plenty of life in her. I have read the sticky so trying to go in with eyes open, but if anyone has any further tips then obviously they would be appreciated. I already have a list of mods the length of my arm planned, but nothing too heavy, just the usual stuff like springs, wheels, carbon lip spoiler, valenti lights. I'm a massive fan of @Lowe's Grey 86 on here.

Will update if I do end up taking the plunge!

I would get the valve spring recall done, but don't worry too much  about it. Auto box is okay down a country lane. It's not as responsive or as involving  as a manual though. 

Check if it's had the steering  wiring recall  which  should have been  done in 2016. 

Good luck, that's a nice colour.

They're pretty robust as they were designed for modding.  You should definitely get the valve spring recall done.  Is the engine modded in any way?

Otherwise, it's check the state of the oil, brake discs, signs of gross uneven wear in the tyres, make sure the electric windows work properly.  Listen for rear axle grind. Look for signs of paint flaking.  Check online that it isn't a category A,B, S or N insurance write-off.

Well, just had a call from the dealer to say their valeter has not been today so they don't want me to come down. I did suggest that I don't mind looking at a dirty car but can see why they didn't want me to!

Maybe tomorrow...

Thanks for the love 😘😂

Defo get the recall done - gives you 12 months warranty on the engine even if the car is out of warranty... Worth it for that alone.

Personally as good as auto boxes can be, I wouldn't. I used to do a fair bit of commuting which involved motorway and the inevitable traffic jams - and overall it was only a minor inconvenience since the clutch is pretty light. The auto changes pretty quickly but is let down by longer gearing.

Thanks for the response Lowe!

Finally went to see it yesterday and had a shock when I arrived - it's actually black! Not in bad nick but I'm kind of on the fence about it as it has a car park dent in the rear quarter, patchy service history, cheap tyres, and the dealer won't budge on price. I think I'm going to have to park the GT86 dream for a bit unless the price comes down somewhat. He wants £10k for it which it would be worth if some or all of the above weren't an issue, but as it is,it's just one too many red flags.

Oh well! Pictures anyway because everyone likes pictures.

2020-01-27 16.57.21-1.jpg

2020-01-27 16.57.27.jpg

2020-01-27 16.57.36-1.jpg

2020-01-27 16.58.57.jpg

2020-01-27 16.58.48.jpg

Sorry to hear it didnt go to plan! My feeling would be to wait. If its not the colour you really want , there is a bodywork issue to fix, the recall hasnt been done and the dealer isnt doing anything to tempt you, then I would say keep looking?

It looks like one should avoid this dealer. Bad luck, maybe better next time. Be sure to always fully inspect a car, inside, outside, and underside. Have a long testdrive, preferably on the motorway as well as on local roads. After the testdrive, listen carefully to the idling engine and smell the exhaust gasses to detect any burnt oil. The latter saved me once on my quest for the holy grail. 😬