Sign in to follow this  
scbrz

percolating kettle noise

Does anyone else get a percolating kettle noise from their cars, coming from the suspension/tyres?

Unless I'm on perfectly smooth tarmac I get the road noise. I've changed tyres to another brand and no difference. Its starting to get a bit irritating. I don't recall it doing it before I reverted to stock springs from lowering springs, but maybe I'm just more honed into the noise now?

Yes!!

I've been trying to describe this sound myself and now you mention it it does sound like a coffee percolator. And yes, it happens on anything but the smoothest of roads. I am on std suspension and Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres - it happened with my PS4s too so I'm not sure it's the tyres. I've only really noticed it since I blocked the sound hole. It is very irritating though. I wish I could isolate it and make it go away.

FWIW I managed to drop a few dBs of white noise by sticking foam on rear wheel arches behind the interior. It was a nice change for moderate effort, but you can't do that with the front wheels particularly. The GT86 suffers from quite a lot of road noise, due to the lightness/cheapness objective.