gavin_t

Claims for Warrenty/out of warrenty work with Toyota

Hi

Just looking to see who has been through the process of trying to claim for work to be carried out by claiming costs against Toyota.

As some may have seen I am having some issues with my car since it has gone in for its Valve spring recall and am facing a hefty bill for new cams and carriers and associated parts and labour.

dealership have been helpful so far and have offered to put the claim to Toyota  UK on my behalf.

Currently waiting to here back from them on if there has been any success. If there is no joy or similar can you try again or is it a case of once the issue has been raised once a no is a no...

Was happy at first that the dealer offered to do it on my behalf but have since released this means I am out of the loop so don't know what is been said etc.

Got some good evidence for a claim but as the car is a 12 plate the official warranty has long since expired which is my main issue.

Just looking to see who has been through the process and how you went about it

Thanks
Gavin :)

42 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

Hi

Just looking to see who has been through the process of trying to claim for work to be carried out by claiming costs against Toyota.

As some may have seen I am having some issues with my car since it has gone in for its Valve spring recall and am facing a hefty bill for new cams and carriers and associated parts and labour.

dealership have been helpful so far and have offered to put the claim to Toyota  UK on my behalf.

Currently waiting to here back from them on if there has been any success. If there is no joy or similar can you try again or is it a case of once the issue has been raised once a no is a no...

Was happy at first that the dealer offered to do it on my behalf but have since released this means I am out of the loop so don't know what is been said etc.

Got some good evidence for a claim but as the car is a 12 plate the official warranty has long since expired which is my main issue.

Just looking to see who has been through the process and how you went about it

Thanks
Gavin :)

If the result is in the negative I would contact Toyota UK just to make sure they are in the loop having dealt with this lot it would be worth checking

24 minutes ago, nikndel said:

If the result is in the negative I would contact Toyota UK just to make sure they are in the loop having dealt with this lot it would be worth checking

I have heard back. Toyota UK are applying a discount to the works I now stand with a balance of £538. Which is alot better then the almost £3000 it started at. 

Going to ask if I can get a copy of the communication to find what was said. 

Also need to discuss what kind of Warrenty this will come with as I am bolting an engine back in with an unknown quantity now as it has clearly has sealant flying around it at some point.....

Also I am happy with this progress but seems to be that if they are discounting that heavy already are they admitting there was a fault.  If so I am still out of pocket due to their origional blunder...

5 minutes ago, nikndel said:

So that’s £538 to do cam damage plugs and clutch are stated cost ?

No that is for the cam damage work that was originally close the 3k. The clutch and plugs are still the £220 and £80 respectively

I'll be honest and say you had more joy than I thought you would have. The previous dealer (if it was different) clearly messed up doing the original work and I would have thought Toyota UK would just point the finger at them and tell them to foot the bill?

On the up side, it sounds like the dealer doing your recall knows what they're doing and should be able to check the engine.

You should be able to get a warranty on the engine because the recall work should give you a year, and it'll be pretty hard to distinguish between oil starvation events if another one happens?

10 minutes ago, gavin_t said:

No that is for the cam damage work that was originally close the 3k. The clutch and plugs are still the £220 and £80 respectively

That’s what I meant I’d accept get some sort of warranty though 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'll be honest and say you had more joy than I thought you would have. The previous dealer (if it was different) clearly messed up doing the original work and I would have thought Toyota UK would just point the finger at them and tell them to foot the bill?

On the up side, it sounds like the dealer doing your recall knows what they're doing and should be able to check the engine.

You should be able to get a warranty on the engine because the recall work should give you a year, and it'll be pretty hard to distinguish between oil starvation events if another one happens?

Yes it was another local dealer that did the work the first time round (same franchise) 

Asked for info on what was said but they have said mechanical loss discussions outside of Warrenty cannot be disclosed with myself. 

So I guess unless I discuss now with toyota directly I will have to go with this offer. Seems like I am then going behind their back and risking upsetting the Apple cart when they have been helpful up until now though if I do this. 

Just tricky as I don't know what has been said and only have a figure on paper . 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mike the same dealer had the engine out long before valve springs were a issue 

Just now, nikndel said:

That’s what I meant I’d accept get some sort of warranty though 

Yer that's my thinking at present. To be fair if it was the ticking bomb I was I have done well out of this anyway.  If it had imploded prior to been opened up on the recall I would have been told to go and fish most likely. 

1 minute ago, gavin_t said:

Yer that's my thinking at present. To be fair if it was the ticking bomb I was I have done well out of this anyway.  If it had imploded prior to been opened up on the recall I would have been told to go and fish most likely. 

If it’s been running that long with the damage hopefully the oil starvation was limited to what we saw in pictures

2 hours ago, nikndel said:

If it’s been running that long with the damage hopefully the oil starvation was limited to what we saw in pictures

Everyone else barring the chap from fensport that commented on Facebook seems Confident of the same. 

As long as I can get something in writing about a Warrenty I am happy.  But they swerved that in their last email reply so have sent another. Plus asking for an all in total for everything so I know 100% where I stand. 

Will ask if I can get the info from toyota direct if I call them personally though. If it is purely a gesture of good will then fine I am happy that have done so. But if they have admitted fault why not just cover the lot....

Either way I am in a better place then I was on Tuesday

That doesn't seem too bad on balance as it would be hard to absolutely prove what caused it, despite all of us having a good idea what did! 

You will get 12 months warranty on it, so if there are further problems you'll at least be well covered. 

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

That doesn't seem too bad on balance as it would be hard to absolutely prove what caused it, despite all of us having a good idea what did! 

You will get 12 months warranty on it, so if there are further problems you'll at least be well covered. 

Yer I am suprised that happened so quick. Providing they offer a Warrenty on the work I will probably go with it. 

Just a shame I can't see what was said 

Yes it's a shame you don't know what was said but I would imagine the techie gave them the distinct impression the previous job was to blame to manage an 80% discount. I doubt they will ever admit full liability though

Got an email through to confirm I am covered on a 12 month Warrenty on the repair. Just getting them to send over a invoice for the full total inclusive of vat with the clutch and plugs price added on so I have it in writing.  

Then I think I will agree and let the work commence. 

May call toyota customer services myself to see if they can shed any further information but I doubt it will get me any further.  Purely for my interest really.

At least all this Google research and reading to tech diagrams has given me a good understanding of the FA20 😂