keelerad

29th September 2012 Space Saver Spare

Decided to replace my can of goo with something a bit more useful, it had been reported that an Imprezza 16" space saver would fit (originally it was thought a Prius one would as well but apparently it fouled the calipers on the front) so I went for a tour of some scrappies and got this (be careful there are some that touch the caliper and late Imprezza's had a bigger diameter for the studs 114mm rather than 100mm)

CheshireEast-20120929-00138_zps224fcf1f.

Tried it on the front to make sure it cleared

DSCF2472_zpsf35f9f15.jpg

It's a 135/70 16

DSCF2475_zpsaefe19d3.jpg

Fits in the hole OK when you remove the polystyrene liner, apparently the screw for the Aygo is just right for securing it

DSCF2489_zpsfde0c72d.jpg

I think the Sub is designed to fit a full size spare?

Keethos did you look into this?

Can't remember what year, just watch out as there are a few that have 114 PCD holes rather than 100 and there are some where the wheel has plates welded on that foul the calipers.

Find a friendly breakers, take your jack and try it on the front

Alec

AUDM twins had full size spare (probably because on australian desert roads puncture may happen also several hundeds miles from nearest tire shop). But to fit it also different boot liner is needed, as there needs to be bulb in center for full size spare to fit. Full size spare also weights more of course. Imho space saver donut, that will let one drive in case of emergency and which is something that can be more relied upon then tire repair kit (after usage of which most tire shops refuse to deal with such repaired tires, and often it results in having to buy pair of new tires (for same wear)) and won't rub already small boot volume is best compromise.

That's a lot of boot space lost there. I've never had a spare, have an amp and a whopping great sub in there instead. Not had a puncture in 113K miles. Waste of money, Nigel. :P

- knock on wood - in 3 years ownership i've yet to have a puncture on my gt86 (i wonder if maybe because driving more carefully due lower ground clearance & lower suspension travel over bad roads full of bad roadholes), but on corolla i had before i had puncture on awerage once per 1.5 years, and space saver helped me on several ocasions, so i'll keep it in trunk.