Neil-h

Price difference between Toyota and Subaru

Just thought I’d share a experience I had recently (because I’m still not sure I can believe it tbh so it’ll be interesting to see if anyone else has found the same). So I was looking for a replacement donut gasket so I can fit my new car back, a quick ring to the local Toyota dealership and I’m starting to reconsider having been told they wanted £57 for it. Out of idle curiosity I then rang the local Subaru dealer to see what they charge (given it’s a Subaru part), only to be told they’d do it for £15. Now a couple of quick I can understand but for Toyota to want nearly 4 times more for the same part us just a piss take.

Brings my Alfa Romeo 164 back into memory. It shared many parts with the Saab 9000, the Lancia Thema and the Fiat Croma. A set of rubbers for the rear suspension cost about three times as much at Alfa Romeo, compared to Fiat/Lancia.

It might not be always only due greed, but simply because of how logistics had been set up. Both toyota and subaru being international manufacturers has own part manufacturing/storing/distribution logistic systems that they reuse even if in some cases (some parts? some models?) for some things it misworks. I also recall seeing some times in forum that "get part X with PN Y at subaru, it's same, but cheaper then at toyota". Also some dealerships can sometimes put own extra markup. Imho this particular gasket case not worth generalizing over. I simply would try to find PN at both toyota and subaru .. and search it up in online part shops, then inquire at dealerships.

Yeah i think in this particular situation it comes down to who manufactured the engine, given that gasket is the same as was used on every EJ engined Subaru since 2004. Tbh it's useful to know as i'd wondered just how much parts cross over their is with the likes of the Impreza.

In the case of an exhaust gasket I guess it matters less but will it affect warranty using Subaru sourced parts?

Aware that dealerships can't force you to have it serviced there to retain warranty but they (Toyota in this case) are allowed to insist on the use of manufacturers parts. What's frustrating is that in the case of the gt86 its likely the same part in a different packet and labeled with a Toyota part number costing more lol

I had a similar thing with coolant. The cost for five litres from Subaru was only about the same as one litre from Toyota.
Do they use the same blue coolant?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk