Daninplymouth

Geo and alignment numbers

1 hour ago, Daninplymouth said:

Hi, I’m looking at getting my alignment redone after adjusting the height on my coilovers. My plan is to aim for the following for each wheel, does this sound about right?

front -2 camber, zero toe

rear -1.5 camber, 0.05 toe

I run pretty similar to that apart from mine is  -2.5° camber at the front and -2° at the rear

I'd go with what Jeff (Deacon) says. I run 2.5 front 1.75 rear as it's all I can get with stock track rods with getting the toe right.  For Toe, yes go with what you said. 

Initial impression are it’s got its sharpness back and feels a lot more lively. The back seemed to want to move around a bit more than usual. I reckon I was at about .5-1.0 camber before would the extra degree and half really be this noticeable?

24 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Initial impression are it’s got its sharpness back and feels a lot more lively. The back seemed to want to move around a bit more than usual. I reckon I was at about .5-1.0 camber before would the extra degree and half really be this noticeable?

If anything I found the opposite - it made the car more stable

Camber shouldn't affect much handling driving in straight line on good road. What it changes - grip during cornering (thus by a lot grip during fast taken turns, and grip balance front-rear, thus understeery/neutral/oversteery behaviors) and on uneven road pavement with lot of camber car often tends to change grip between wheels and follow longitudinal grooves.

Stability is much more affected with toe (and it's unevenness) imho.

12 hours ago, Daninplymouth said:

Half a degree will not really make any differences. It's the toe settings, particularly the rear which change how it feels in terms of stability. More toe in on the rear equals more stable and the opposite is true of course. What are your toe readings?

1 hour ago, Lauren said:

Half a degree will not really make any differences. It's the toe settings, particularly the rear which change how it feels in terms of stability. More toe in on the rear equals more stable and the opposite is true of course. What are your toe readings?

I didn’t get a print out, the garage I usually use its hunter machine was down so took it somewhere else. Just asked for the settings above. Will have a proper go the weekend it definitely feels sharper though. I reckon my chambers gone up about 1.5degrees not 0.5. I would take a guess I was running 0.5-1 before the alignment.

17 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

I didn’t get a print out, the garage I usually use its hunter machine was down so took it somewhere else. Just asked for the settings above. Will have a proper go the weekend it definitely feels sharper though. I reckon my chambers gone up about 1.5degrees not 0.5. I would take a guess I was running 0.5-1 before the alignment.

That's a shame, Dan. Really you need a print out to know what the settings are as you cannot tell by eye alone. I used to geo setups myself manually, back in the day before Hunter alignment machines. But at least I knew what settings I had done. Rear toe is very critical. Camber is not so important when it comes to stability. I would take it somewhere you can at least check the settings as you don't want to end up backwards into a hedge. 

Just to dig up an old thread but I’m going to get my alignment checked again soon.

i have noticed sometimes when driving on the motorway the car feels light and seems to move around a bit, also on bumpy roads it seems to track and pull with the cancer of the road. Is there any settings I could amend to improve straight line stability?  I might be being over sensitive to it and I put it down a bit to the side winds here on the open roads but if I could make it more planted I think I would prefer that

Just to dig up an old thread but I’m going to get my alignment checked again soon.
i have noticed sometimes when driving on the motorway the car feels light and seems to move around a bit, also on bumpy roads it seems to track and pull with the cancer of the road. Is there any settings I could amend to improve straight line stability?  I might be being over sensitive to it and I put it down a bit to the side winds here on the open roads but if I could make it more planted I think I would prefer that

Slight toe in at the rear is all really make sure toe is equal or slightly out at the front. Making sure camber is pretty balanced matters. Also check your tyre treads especially on the rear I have found extreme instability under acceleration from a difference in 1.5mm in tread depth.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

BTW, recalling one funny case of weird car handling. Lot of time was spent on debugging handling problem in suspension/alignment .. real issue was one of tires (of asymetric thread pattern) was mounted on wheel wrong way and i somehow didn't notice it after tire mount shop :)